Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have been your recent experiences with broken rods on no warranty I have personally never turned in or even kept the warranty card never had a problem but not large sample broke maybe 6 rods in 35 years of fishing last one was like three years ago turned her in like 50 bucks got Brand new rod. Lots of secondhand buyers really want a warranty card I think it's paranoia.Heard Scott May cost u 100-150 without card never owned one of those my broken rod experience Winston Sage Burkie no problems. So can members tell recent stories say last 5 years good or bad regarding broken rod no warranty card put this to rest thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a sage deathstar and have broke it three times all my fault. I am the original owner and have never sent in the card. I have sent it back through my local shop and it cost me $75 to get it fixed each time. Takes about 6 weeks but no problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a used Winston Biix 6wt about 4 years ago. I think the tip was damaged, since it broke while casting. I called Winston and they quoted me something like $250 to repair it. I bought the blank section for the tip for $125 and built it up myself. I have heard other stories about Winston being very strict on their repair policy.

The only other rod I have ever broken was a new Orvis Silver label 8wt that I broke while casting in the yard. They exchanged it at the store, no questions asked.

Ted

·
Banned
894 Posts
I had to gasp reading that first sentence/paragraph😆 As for broken rods, broke my Beulah ($50) and broke my Amundson(free replacement). The Beulah wasn't my fault but they blamed me for it. Amundson got stepped on😕

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bust my sage mini deathstar 7119-4 at the section above handle in a pontooning accident. I had no card as it was bought used on eBay. My local tackle store sent it to sage I got it back 6-8weeks later. Cost me 50-75$

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have broken too many rods to count. Loomis and Orvis have always been easiest to deal with for me. Got to be on a first name basis with the Loomis lady...often rods replaced immediately. Now Loomis has gone to a warranty card basis. But Loomis has an "expeditor" deal where they will replace any rod for $100 and fed ex it to you immediately. Sage now requires warranty registration and they require 60 dollar prepayment before they will assess the rod; a broken ferrule just took a month and $60. My sense is that all of the rod makers are tightening up the warranty- replacements policies.

On a side note. The rod warranty policies that used to be so liberal have led to the demise of several fly shops l think. Guys buying second hand rods, intentionally breaking them, getting new ones for next to nothing under former liberal warranty policies in a very competitive rod business . Fly shops basically taken out of the business of getting a sale when new rods sent out wholesale to second hand buyers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sage/Rod warranty

Broke my Sage One two years back. Called Sage, they said , no problem. Took to local FLYSHOP without warranty card. Got the broken tip back, plus while it was there, they noticed a left curve in the 2&3 sections. They replaced the three top pieces for 75 bucks. Didn't even have to pay shipping.
A buddy broke an old DS2, I told him send it in. 3 months later( with no contact with Sage at all) a Brand New DS2 showed up at his door.
No warranty card and was purchased used... In rough shape too IMO.

Scott can be a different story. A few friends have been quoted a Hundred + to repair without card. I think some react differently... Depends who you get. Another guy I know was told ' nothing we can do!' Period.... That was it. Not sure what the final outcome was.

I have yet to break one of my Scotts though, and plan to add more to the quiver. Fantastic rods IMO. They did however send me parts and pieces for tubes over the years.... For free.

TFO, Echo rods that I have had in the past both were about 30 bucks or free and no questions asked. No warranty papers required.

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
Broke my Sage One two years back. Called Sage, they said , no problem. Took to local FLYSHOP without warranty card. Got the broken tip back, plus while it was there, they noticed a left curve in the 2&3 sections. They replaced the three top pieces for 75 bucks. Didn't even have to pay shipping.
A buddy broke an old DS2, I told him send it in. 3 months later( with no contact with Sage at all) a Brand New DS2 showed up at his door.
No warranty card and was purchased used... In rough shape too IMO.

Scott can be a different story. A few friends have been quoted a Hundred + to repair without card. I think some react differently... Depends who you get. Another guy I know was told ' nothing we can do!' Period.... That was it. Not sure what the final outcome was.

I have yet to break one of my Scotts though, and plan to add more to the quiver. Fantastic rods IMO. They did however send me parts and pieces for tubes over the years.... For free.

TFO, Echo rods that I have had in the past both were about 30 bucks or free and no questions asked. No warranty papers required.

Cheers
I have 11 Scott rods and have broken many of them over the years. Except for a couple cork issues, all repairs have been my fault. I think I had three sent to Scott in 2013. I found their service to be excellent and cordial. The largest cost to me as a Canadian was shipping to and fro...about a hundred bucks.
Wow, interesting to hear that someone would buy an old rod and break it to get a new one on the cheap... Some people.:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have broken 2 Orvis rods. One was an old PM10 I had bought from a gentleman I knew and was roughly 20 years old, being they had a 25 year warranty on it, the cost was either $30 to fix it plus shipping or pay $300 and upgrade to the Helios 2. I upgraded to the Helios and first trip it broke on a hookset, called Orvis from the creek and they paid everything. Orvis was very easy to deal with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have send Sage five or six rods in the last five or so years, mostly without warranty cards, and all have been repaired in about a month for about fifty bucks. No problems. When they couldn't fix an old RP, they replaced it with a RPL. My experiences have been excellent.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This thread points up why the repair/replacement is 'so easy.'

The only people who read threads (Board's like this) are people who actually purchase/use the equipment. Better to 'be liberal' and see posts like this or how many potential sales are killed by a really bad review?

Personally I've shied away from purchases due to 'bad repair reviews' even on what were obviously good rods. Some folks just seem to have 'the knack' for busting rods but in 60 years of fishing I've only had three rods break. One a real 'blow up!' the other two were car doors. (Dah Fred!:frown2:)

In each case the rod was either repaired or replaced. In one case the 'nice lady' asked 'How many years have you fished that rod? We haven't made them in over 10 years.' Sage sent me a current production rod, cost me about $40.00 for postage.

Mailed them the cheque and the new rod was in my hands in about 2 weeks.

Woof-Woof!:smokin:

fae

·
JD
3,607 Posts
My beloved Sage 8150-4

It's been quite a few years ago, I broke a section (don't remember whether or not it was the tips section) on my 8150. At the time, the 8150 had been out of production for a good number of years. Fired off an email to Sage explaining how heartbroken I was about the fact that I had broken the rod & asked if they could repair it. Answer came back yes, we are able to repair your beloved 8150. Forget what it cost me. Not much. I was just tickled to death they were able to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Someone told me that he snapped his redington cpx switch rod and got a hard time from redington. Anyone ever had any experience with fixing an older redington?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've never sent in a sage card and they have never asked for one when fixing or replacing a rod. When shipping one in they do charge a S&H fee, when showing up at their factory they took care of me with no S&H fee (plus gave my daughter and I a tour of the plant).

The one Scott I purchased I did resister at the direction of fly shop owner who said they can be sticklers about it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Someone told me that he snapped his redington cpx switch rod and got a hard time from redington. Anyone ever had any experience with fixing an older redington?
Never have had any issues with repair from Beulah, Redington (CPX spey rod), Anglers Roost, TFO, and one of the "Fly Shop" signature rods. I've never remembered or bothered to send in warranty cards, and I've not had any issues with any of those companies.

Perhaps it makes some difference how one approaches the issue, or perhaps not; but I always find it best to just be completely straight up about what happened. I get the feeling that they get a lot of people trying to take advantage of generous warranty policies, and are understandably a bit less inclined to be helpful if they think they're getting a line of BS. Some of the breaks were completely my fault, and some were clearly a manufacturer issue, and some were likely a bit of both but were impossible to pin to any one thing. All except the Fly Shop charged my a nominal fee (never more than $50 so far), the Fly Shop staff have replaced the broken sections of the same rod 4 times so far with zero charges and no hassles (just a few question to assess what happened).
JB

·
Registered
650 Posts
I dunno why rod companies are so strict about who was the original owner. Most rods nowadays change hands quite often....and if a rod breaks, why would they care if it wasn't the original owner who broke it? It doesn't change the fact that it's broken. I'll admit, I've broken quite a few of my Orvis rods and have never had any problems with repairs. They do charge $30, but not upfront. I once broke a rod and needed it ASAP. They sent a brand new one out to me to replace the broken one....pretty awesome stuff.

I broke a Sage Flight a few years back(about a week after I got it...not a mark on it) I was practice casting on the water and the rod just went CRACK on the forward cast. Scared the crap out of me! I sent it back and it took quite a long time for them to get back to me. They said it was a defect, and offered a Z-Axis for $350...huh?! I paid almost $400 for the Flight new and they wanted me to dish out even more to pay RETAIL for a discontinued Z-Axis(Still a good rod, I know):hihi: That kinda ticked me off so I opted for a repair. Don't remember the cost, but all I remember thinking was that it was a crazy amount for a brand new rod that was "defective".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts