Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my ankle last week in Gaspe. The cast comes off in four weeks, to be replaced by a splint one week before my week on the Dean.

It is my understanding a splint is much like a ski boot. Can one be fitted over a neoprene stocking foot wader? Can it be built with a felt sole? Studs? Names of manufacturers or suppliers?

Advice and alternate solutions are desperately needed.

Many thanks,
Bob

p.s. I also posted this on FFForum Steelhead page.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Bob they may be able to get you an Air Cast instead of the big boot.Worth asking your Doctor about.

air cast

This is what I wore after getting my cast off and it provided excellent support.

You can make them big enough to fit over your neoprene booty and then stuff it all down in a boot. You will not have a ton of mobility but you will be able to get around.

You may have to get one size larger boot though but for the price of not going to the Dean it would be worth it.

-sean

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bob:
I would be very careful and check with an orthopaedic surgeon before I thought of starting to wade again, if I were you. Your ankle won't be stable, yet, at this point. I went fishing this morning and my 'healthy feet' nearly took a beating while trying to navigate my way through slippery rocks. I think you're taking a big gamble. Depending on the type of fracture you may have to give it a good rest for 2-3 months. No, I am not kidding. In addition, you may suffer from quite a bit of swelling and pain if you stress your ankle too soon. In your case, I'd definitely ask the doctor first.
Good luck,
Tom.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bob,
Perhaps you should not fish at all.
If you post the air fare over I will gladly fish on your behalf.

Bad luck and I hope it all works out fine.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Bob Pauli said:
Advice and alternate solutions are desperately needed.

Many thanks,
Bob

p.s. I also posted this on FFForum Steelhead page.
Time to start offering up your spot for either a trade later in the fall, or for sale to try to recoup your cost. You do not want the level of surgery required if you bugger up your healing ankle. Ankle, feet, and wrists. When broken, they need to be respected, as they are really complicated systems.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Give Dr Mink a call. Besides being a retired Ortho Pod with Kaiser, he is still a consultant, and he had some type of cast or orthothotic support on last May in Simon's class on the American River.

Regardless of the cast, buy yourself a vest with a CO2 cartridge or one of the new ones which fit like a pair of wide suspenders. Then if you slip, you can stay alive.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks.

All your comments are deeply appreciated--many thanks.

My wife the RN goes "yeah" when she reads the cautionary posts. I also take them seriously.

Dave, I'll contact Dr. M. today.

Beau, I need this trip, and more lessons from you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Bob,

That sucks ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It was good meeting you up on the Gaspe, however. Hope you had a good trip up until that point. How did it happen? Austin didn't push you did he? :saeek: If so let me know and I will have a word with him. :tsk_tsk:

Charlie.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charlie,
It occurred Saturday June 11, walking to the car from the York's Gran Saumon pool at the end of the day. Austin was right behind me--do you think...? :(

I enjoyed meeting you and Brian [right?] on the river. Your gentlemanly offer of allowing us into the pool before you was appreciated and hopefully can be reciprocated.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Bob,

The pleasure was all mine. Hope you heal quickly (Brian said the same) and hope to see you up there next year.

Charlie.

P.S. I talked to some friends that got up there the week after us. The fishing got much better after we left. Isn’t it always the case? :(

·
Registered
646 Posts
Bob,
Just checking to see how your ankle is feeling. Hoping you'll be strong enough for the Dean this year.
Take care,
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts