Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on the Stilly having just released my 22nd pink of the week. A quick roll cast out in front to get the Aqualux head on top of the water, flip back over my head and then shoot forward in the Norwegian style as demonstrated by Leif Stavmo. As I was transitioning from back cast to forward thrust, there was a heart-wrenching crack that could be heard by all on the river. Several gentlemen took their hats off and placed them over their hearts. There was also one audible, "Ut-Oh."

It had broken just above the handle, but below the feral about two inches. The sudden release of force had sent a wave of whipping action up to the tip and the last 4 inches of the tip snapped off. As I stood their holding just a handle and looking at a jumble of broken rod and line floating in the river, I was mortified.

What sin could I have committed to deserve this? My buddy Jim was very supportive in my time of need. Un-characteristic of Jim, but he is my friend and he knew I needed him. His kind words were, "Geez, you always take such good care of your rods. What could have happened?" Indeed, what had happened?

I was using a running line with a 400-grain Aqualux head. The Spey line for that 12-foot, 8 wt, yellow line has a head weight of 525 grains (according to Rio catalog, 2003). I always pack away my rods with care, taping ferrules and still checking to see if they have come loose, etc.

I had just mentioned to another member here that I had never asked about a warranty on my rods. I bought them according to how they felt. I didn't know what to do. So I trotted off to Kaufmann's. Ryan was very empathetic and told me that Loop's have a lifetime warranty. So he is shipping it off. Ryan, my hero, but he has weird ideas about what to put on the end of a fly line. (Don't worry Ryan. Your secret is safe with me as long as my rod's return is quick and pleasant.)

I have to admit I am a little gun shy now. I have asked my doctor for a referral to a therapist to deal with posttraumatic shock. What will I do when I return to the Stilly in morning? I tell ya what I'm going to do. I'm taking my 14 foot 9 wt Loop out there and I'm going to catch some more damn Pink's. And if this one breaks, I'm going to personally hand it to Goran Anderson in Sweden.

Matt

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
That is the spey gods lashing out for wasting your time on pinks when there are steelhead to be caught:razz:

Just kidding and hope you get a repaired rod back soon. That is what lifetime warranties are for. I have broken my fair share and sometimes it just happens (however in my case it usually conincides with me tripping and falling down).

However you now have to atone for your sins and go catch a steelie.

-sean

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the Loop US warranty is actually five years.

J

·
0 Posts
BeBop is correct. Since the introduction of the color series of rods their warranty has been five years. And, there is a fee, I believe it is $25.00, assessed for shipping and processing. This warranty will change somewhat for 2004. The first year will be unconditional coverage and after one year there will be a set fee, $20.00 (I believe) for any section other than a butt, and $40.00 for a butt section. Be sure to ask your Loop dealer about this before purchasing.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Blank Failure

Matt
Sometimes there are imperfections in the blank that show up only after some use. Was is a clean break across or were there stringy ends at the break? The former is a flaw in manufacturing the blank. You might send some details to speybum who works with composites professionally for a better answer.

In any case, hope you are back catching fish quickly. How quiclkly you get back to fishing is an important consideration in warranty too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The really annoying thin about the Loop warranty is that in Canada it is only one year compared to five in the US. The fact that the rods cost more in Canada doesn't seem to mean a lot.

J

·
0 Posts
By whom? I queried Jeff Gidney about this at the Denver show and for 2004 the one year unconditional and then the fee schedule I set forth a few posts ago will go into effect. Since he's the American importer/distributor, he's the one who makes the call. One could say that that means 5+ years, but it isn't free. It is what's likely to be common throughout the industry within a very short period of time, however.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was under the same impression, JR... Reels are lifetime, rods are 5yrs... Never asked Jeff, or Ron for that matter, about it. Might be good to know definitively.

J

·
0 Posts
One can't get more definitive than to ask the US importer/distributor in person in the Loop booth at the trade show. I knew they were thinking about changing their warranties and I wasn't going to leave the show until I got a direct answer from Jeff. That change, of course, shouldn't have any impact on rods sold before the change. I also happen to think it is a fair warranty, and as I pointed out in a previous post, is one I think most companies will be adopting soon (at least some similar version of it.) It is important for people to know what the warranty is before a purchase and Loop's gear has always been a bit of a mystery that way, especially since the US warranty has differed from that of the rest of the free world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts