Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys had a free month to fish BC for steelhead how would you go about it?

let me throw some rules out:

No Guides
No Jet Sleds (pontoons ok)
No Lodges
No Planes, Helicopters, etc

You have a truck, a sleeping bag, waders and boots, your favorite steelhead spey rods, fly tying kit, stove, a little grub, and a couple bottles of goooood scotch. You can take your trusty back country backpack too!

That being said, where you would you go and when? Remember you have an entire 30 day period. Strictly Steelhead. No Salmon, No Kamloops, Nothing but Steelhead.

Yeah, I am trying to gather intel on how a broke young guy like myself can go to BC and fish his @$$ off for a month......sort of a gift to myself after getting out of the military - a chance to maybe regain some sanity. Unfortunately, I dont have a sled and guides are simply out of the question as I dont have that kind of cash. I am curious to see what you guys think. Throw some Ideas out there! If the world gave you a freebie month to chase steelhead in BC........

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Hey,

Drive to Port Hardy (stopping and fishing along the way) grab the ferry to Prince Rupert. Drive to Terrace and camp at the ferry Island Campsite. Buy maps at the local tackle shops and inquire. Drive and fish areas between Terrace and Smithers.

Low bucks and very high quality fishing oppurtunities. Go for September to October, the rest you will need to find out for yourself, but thats all part of the adventure.

Cheers N I

·
Registered
147 Posts
WOW a month in BC sounds great! I have only been to BC once and that involved a helicopter. But i'll offer an honest opinion. I think the best thing you could do to make this trip a success would be to TAKE ME!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you make the trip?

It sounds like you did in 2002 what I am trying to do this year. If you are still around and would like to share any insite i would love it. I am going to head up and do a self guided 2 week trip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you may want to drive if you are on a tight budget. ferry just cost me 640 bills fromport hardy plus 18 hours of my time.well worth the moneyto go up north but a bit of a hit to the fun money stash.

·
A BIG fish is a GOOD fish
307 Posts
Terrace 9/6-9/18

just cant wait. tick tock tick tock. buddy and i will be travelin 4000 miles to trout bum ocean run wild chrome from Terrace to Smithers. livin small money, large adventure on copper, klor, and bulkley/diy steelie bonanza. anyone else gonna be up there drop me a line. this year bringing the rafts, knockin on lots of doors, lookin for bucks and *****es. swing step cast on the holy water of the skeena watershed!

just cant wait. its killin me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Only 4000 miles Tie-Dye?
We have to travel twice that distance, go to same area for some steel!
We will arrive in Smithers on Sept. 21st!

·
A BIG fish is a GOOD fish
307 Posts
internet

i show my wife this forum and show her im not the only nut to travel accross the world to camp out in the cold with bears bees and bad weather! hope you have a great trip and i promise to leave a few unfeathered for you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
leave some????

I was just informed that this year the steelies will come up late!
A friend in Hazelton informed me that he have confidential info that the aggreed to wait till Sept 20!!!

Have fun anyway and post your report when you're back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts