Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent about 5 hours on the Russian River this past Friday casting my 7136. Now I'm glad that I didn't sell it.

The river was nice and low and there was no need for sinktips or my 7141 to cast them.

For some reason I brought my old 7136 with me. It had been banned to the closet after a terrible day on the America River last May. I was trying to Shad fish and the River was ripping down stream at about 3-4 times normal levels. The 7136 with my poor skills was unable to get any sinking tips up for casting. It was a terrible day and resulted in me buying a 7141 which works in those conditions.

My old 7136 with a MidSpey 6/7 floating line and a ten foot Poly leader and about two foot of tippet worked great all day with both sinking, hovering and floating steelhead flies.

Later in the day I removed the flies as down streamers were trying to strike the fly. I killed a down streamer hen a couple of years ago after she struck. She didn't have the energy to survive the fight which wasn't that long.

So I attached a piece of yarn and decided to try some Snake Rolls. My Snake Rool casts looked terrible, but before the day was over, I was reaching the other bank which I couldn't do with my Double Spey casts.

That evening and the next day there were no problems with my damaged 64 year old shoulder. If I cast my 7141 for five hours, I feel it that night and the next day.

The 7136 is a pleasure to cast with the MS 6/7 floating line with single and double spey and even my terrible Snake Rolls.

It has handled any spring or summer fish that I have hooked with the exception a big brown on the Yuba. I think that I hooked the same brown with my 7141 last year (same hole), and I couldn't get it in with the 7141 either.

So the 7136 is back out of the closet and will be a prime rod for the lower water fishing we normally have in the spring, summer and early fall where I fish. It is a great rod for half pounders on the Rogue and the American river.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Old favorites...

There's a lot to be said for fishing with an older rod. Something about fishing with old favorites that makes the whole experience a lot better. Just like old friends that you haven't seen in a long time, it makes for a pleasant experience.

BobK:)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BobK

So true! I'm really glad that I didn't sell this rod. With our late Spring, Summer, and early fall, flows it is the perfect rod for most of the fishing that I do with the Mid Spey 6/7.

I will save my 7141 for shad fishing and bigger rivers that require sinking tips. Then next fall after the rains, it will become my major stick again.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep, got to pull out the old Fenwick HMG 8 weight warrior this spring, I know she is dying to get out there after them again.

Pm Out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts