Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what people's takes are on fishing bright sunny winter days. I've experienced first hand the fishing shutting off during the brightest hours of the day during the summer, but how confident are you during bright sunny days in February, how about April? It seems to me especially during low water, that the fish hold deeper, but what is the general feeling as far as their willingness to take a fly? Anybody have experience or opinions on this?
Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have observed........

that the fishing picks up when the sun has warmed the water a few degrees.

As to the fishing shutting down during the bright days of summer, I don't agree. I find that at those time you have to fish where the fish hide. Under white water, in the shade etc. The still will bite but you have to look elsewhere.
SA

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I think that bright sun and very cold water does not increase your chances but it is by no means a curse fo death. I would also agree that anything that warms the water a degree or two can only help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No

I've caught a few winter/spring fish on bright days.

IMHO as long as the fish isn't staring directly into the sun (in line with where it would be viewing your fly) I don't consider it a detriment.

Most of my luck has been on bright afternoons - the sun is in the west and 'behind' the fish. The water has been warmed to its maximum for that day, and the fish are as active as they're going to get.

FWIW,

Brian

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Last Sunday, I arrived at the Mixer bar on the Skagit River. Two other spey anglers were fishing around the middle of the drift. The day was sunny and the water was clear. As I was rigging up, one of them caught, landed and released a good steelhead. The time was around 12:50 p.m.

One fish does not a principle make, or even a guideline. But it's a reminder that fish are there to be caught, even when the conditions are not what you or I would consider perfect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've caught 80 percent of my Atlantics at 11 AM on bright sunny days. Those days when it's blue-bell sky and warming I'm on a mission to have my fly in some holding water at mid-day.

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.