Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any hints or suggestions out there, on how to clean and restore breathable waders.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Wooolite and cold water in the washing

machine. Set it for 'delicate' as this will slow down the spin cycle. Really dirty; give it an extra rinse cycle.

Usually you won't have to turn them inside out and re-do as 95% of grime, et. al. is on the outside of the waders.
fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Yes, you go to the laundermat (sp?) and wash them in the drum washer with a shot of nik-wax or other non-detergent soap, then the waterproofing restoration stuff. I wouldn't do it at home.

Be sure to dry them inside as well as outside after each use for better performance. If it's warm out I turn them inside out and rinse them with a hose, dry them in the sun, then turn them right-side out and do same again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Use ReviveX to restore the finish on your waders

After you have machine washed and thouroghly rinsed your Gortex waders its time to apply some ReviveX. ReviveX is a Gore product which is recommended by Simms for restoring the water repellant finish on thier Gortex waders and Gortex parkas. Once the water repellancy is restored to your waders you will notice that they become more breathable again. Revivex comes in a spray bottle and is applied to the garment when it is dripping wet after removal fronm the washer. After application of ReviveX toss the garmet into the clothes drier as per the directions on the bottle. Any fly shop that carries Simms products should have ReviveX in stock.

I've used this product for about three years and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
KS, a follow up question on the renuix.

You/anyone ever used this product on a non-gortex product? Bring anything to the party?
fae

·
Registered
28 Posts
In addition to my Simms waders

I've also used ReviveX on my Patagonia SST jacket. I think Patagonia calls their Gortex-like fabric "H2No". It's just a breathable water repellant finish and it seems to work perfectly on the Patagonia jacket. Water just beads up and rolls off. It takes a lenghty downpour in order to wet the fabric.

Kinda sounds like I should be selling the stuff!

J

·
0 Posts
As often happens, no distinction has yet been made between caring for Gore-tex waders and other breathable waders, other than Revivex being designed for Gore products. I wouldn't use Revivex on any non-Gore product without receiving the go-ahead from the manufacturer. Almost all non-Gore breathables get their waterproofing/breathability from a coating applied to the outer fabric. It's my guess that Revivex could mess that up big time on some. I own, and still use, a Simms breathable jacket from the pre-Gore-tex days. They used Ultrex then. I asked them about using Revivex on it and they said absolutely not. It was more likely to clog the jackets ability to breathe as to help anything.

To be honst, the manufacturer of the product is the place to go for help on this as opposed to a bulletin board forum. Simms has a terrific site that tells one exactly how to care for waders and other garments. Hangtags that were on the product when purchased also often help out. I just don't believe it's a good idea to treat membrane products like Gore-tex the same as other products where the waterproofing and breathability are applied to the outer fabric. The only Gore-tex waders available in the US that I know about are from Simms, Cabelas, LL Bean, and Loop. And only the waders from those four companies that clearly state that they have Gore-tex construction should be cleaned/restored using directions designed for Gore-tex products. I don't want to sound preachy, but this stuff is too expensive to ruin by following well intended advice that happens to be incorrect.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help one and all. I couldn't find Revivex in the stores, but the local fly shop told me that Thunder Guard would work well with my Bare Blackwaters. I threw them into the washing machine for a light wash. Then I put them in a pail and just covered them with water and a bottle of the afore mentioned stuff. I let them soak for ten minutes then threw them into a hot dryer. I splashed some water on them when they were dry, and it bounced off. The real test will come on the river. I have nothing to loose--these were the most expensive and also the worst waders I have ever owned. They leaked from day one. I sent them back to the factory and they returned them with numerous patches on the inside but the still leaked or seeped water

·
Registered
886 Posts
BeBop said:
I let them soak for ten minutes then threw them into a hot dryer.
Dryer, as in tumble drier, or is a dryer something else in the states?
Sorry but sometimes language changes across the pond, I still have recovered from the "fanny pack" question

Malcolm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tumble Dryer--the one that really used to break me up when I was a small Irish boy is "Ditty Bag".

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Malcom, your safe on this question.

"Tumble dry" is just a very low heat setting on a clothing dryer. On many units the RPM's are also reduced for drying 'delicates.'

And, no .... I won't go into the 'fannie pack' issue. Guys, if you're in another 'English Speaking' country ... don't use this term. Elsewhere, they're called 'bum-bags.' An no, you may not ask for an explanation.:whoa:

·
Registered
378 Posts
If wader stink is the problem-I've had good results using a Mcnett product called Mirazine. Just mix 1oz with water in a large plastic tub(IE-Rubbermaid) and soak the waders for a few minutes. Remove from the tub, do not rinse, hang to dry and your stinky waders will be like new again.
BN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts