Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it was not easy. I had to figure out the best way to manage thread and materials without the manual on the subject. Very little help from google also.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Your first in-hand is a killer pattern with profile and that vintage-style I can appreciate! Very, very good. Figuring out what your fingers need to do while holding the hook will come with practice. I can remember my first attempts...using my lap to help keep the materials in place...epic fail, but failure encourages practice. You are well ahead of the game...persevere, my man..and when that fly gets hammered by a fish, you will smile with glee.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Adrian, very Kind. I don't mean to come across as boastful: This is difficult to do without tools and my hat's off to you who do it regularly. I wanted to give it go from start to finish so that I could "see" for myself.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I think your fly here will really encourage a few to give the in-hand thing a go. You've tackled a complex pattern and it's come out solid in the finish. BTW, the head looks great.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Excellent tie, Vic! Well done without a vice!!

As Adrian stated, I'm sure this will inspire some to give tying in hand a go.

It's got me thinking about it already!

-Bill

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have done a few in hand, more lately since its the holiday the family wants me to hang out so I just bring my stuff downstairs... For a first effort this is off the charts, please stick with it as this one is quite impressive, not many people can do that with a vise!

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Well done Vic :)
As Adrian mentioned , you chose a very complex pattern for your first go at pinching irons .
It brings me back to my first attempt when I developed issues with my elbow and could not raise my arm . I remembered the work of Ken Campbell (caihlen) who was the first tier here that regularly tied in hand , he inspired me to give tying in hand a go . My first pattern was Harry Lemire's Golden Edge Orange , then Golden Edge Yellow . I was pleased with the outcome , but nowhere near the prettiness of some of the in hand ties posted here .
Your first attempt is very honorable , excellent work !! Keep at it , soon the frustration will be replaced by accomplishment and fulfillment :)

By the way , I like to lay out all of the materials for the chosen fly in order of tying . I pre-marry the wings or pre-cut slips and make use of a large thick book where place all my wing materials laying half on/half off so I can easily grab a hold of them with one hand and not destroy them . After each stage I add a double hitch knot . For example , after the tip , tag , tail and butt are in place , double hitch knot . Then the body construction , double hitch knot . The wing build , double hitch knot . Finally , topping , horns , collar , cheeks and head , double hitch knot .... twice :)

Vic , I hope that helps a little . I'm sure there are other methods and others have their own style too .... and I'm sure you will develop your own . Just keep pinching those irons , I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the encouragement. The tips are more helpful than you can imagine. I keptthe pattern very simple and easy for this one; Tinsel tag w/o silk. The GP was easier than a crest for the tail and there is no need for under body using black silk. Only a small clump of herl as an underwing and no sides. It's pretty amazing what has been done in hand referring to the full-dresses displayed here [in Hooks feathers and floss] by others and it would be awesome to see more it. I couldn't take credit for any of that.

Like I mention - the tips are a lot of help. My biggest problem was finishing each part of the fly and having to set it down to work on the next item. I kept breaking thread by whip-finishing with my rough hands. The double hitch does seem better for that purpose. I tied the roof and cheeks in the same turn of thread and a light coat of Kelson's formula head cement in order to keep it clean. I came back with the topping and snapped the pic before finishing it off.

Thanks again. Cheers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
looks vintage, i like it alot. Tying in hand is very rewarding and for old patterns I dont think ill ever go back to using a vice, unless its a small double or something.

Blind eye is much easier to work with since you can do wide wraps up to the eye and put the thread in between the gut and and the shank in between steps. Look through jins photos in progress and youll see some tricks he uses for eyed hooks in hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts