Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my father-in-law was going to go out and buy quite a few of the premade braided mono loops to put on both ends of several fly lines plus tips, but when i told him i could make them with the right materials (the braided mono......duh :razz: ) for alot less, he was all kinds of interested. i figured i could use some loops myself, and whatever i had left over i could use for......... whatever the future brings. i just have a couple few questions i can't seem to get answered for myself:

cortland or gudebrod? is there any great difference between the 2?

also what size? all but 1 line are 8wt. or smaller (a single 10 wt.), so 30, 35, or 50 lb.?

and finally....... i've seen braided loops advertised as both floating and as sinking. are there different materials available, or is it some chemical coating added to 1 or the other?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Braided loop.

Hey Cro,

In the UK I use Airflow braid but Im pretty sure its all similar. 50lb Is my choice as it enables me to use it everywhere on a fly line from the fine tip of a 6wt to the end of a chopped 12wt head by the fact that it shrinks down as its stretched. If using it on the thick end of a 12wt or any bigger size just cut the line thru at 45 degrees and this taper allows it to slide into the braid easier.I always use floating braid as it saves having 2 types and your sink tip will pull it down ok. These are my experiences

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Just an additional thought to the above. Did this for many years with the bright red braded fly line backing material. Effectively you also got a 'built in' strike indicator. Don't forget the use (spareingly!!) a drop or two of 'zap a gap' on both ends AND wrap with tieing thread to keep it from 'flaring up/off' over time and casts.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I like both Gudebrod and Cortland. I haven't found one to out perform the other. I think I can get a slightly fatter line in the Cortland. For spey lines I like 50# best.

I used to sell the sinking loops. They had some tiny metalic strips woven into the braid. I don't think it made a difference.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
My way

O.K. here's my take on this. If you are competent in making your own loops from the braided stuff, then why bother with the braided stuff? Just strip a couple inches of the coating off the fly line and you have the same stuff (braided dacron) to work with. And, as an added bonus, it is heavier on the larger size lines than it is on the smaller lines. Same proceedure, just coat it good with fleximent or something when you're done. No nail knot wraps, nothing.:cool:

To make the loops really tight, you have to work the needle up inside the core and the coating. If that makes sense. That part is a bit more tricky. But once you've seen it done you'll never again go back to those clunky old braided loops.

If you are going to the Sandy Clave, Leroy Teeple usually does a demo on this. If not, there must be someone in your area that can show you how it's done. And if all else fails, search the archives for splicing line. I think maybe Dana had an article with pictures.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I like Gudebrod 50 lb. The Cortland feels slimy to me

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input folks. looks like it's be 50# and whatever brand the unlucky shop i walk into has. :rolleyes:

last night i must have read 50+ threads on loops and splicing. i figure he likes the simple slip on loops, and i want some braid for any splicing i might tackle in the future (not to mention i need a loop on the end of my clear intermediate tip), so i'll pick up a spool. should have plenty left over after making the loops for him.

a few other things i'll throw in here.......

after looking at how some of you splice, i noticed you run the core of the fly line up the braid and out the center of the loop. i saw just short needles in the pictures. get some "doll makers" needles for that. mine are: 3, 5, 7, and 10 inches long, and i can put 70# dacron through the eyes. i just cut then grind/hone the tips so they're not so sharp. also very usefull for blind splicing dacron backing with no fuss. i can make 12" blind splices in 30# backing without trying with the 7" needle.

lastly, after reading all those old threads........... y'all are some funny ass peoples!!! i was cracking up. thanks for the laughs. :chuckle:

·
Registered
26 Posts
40lb Airflow braid ... supplier ?

where can I find it on web ? thanks ...

also note ... urethane glue : 3M Ultraflex is solution to connections ... permanent and flexible

cyanate based crack and loop connections must be replaced overtime ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
please advise sources for Airflow 40lb braided mono ... 100m spool needed ...
contacted Rajeff but no reply ... thanks

you can also customize literaddons from running line from older wetcel WF lines or DT6-7 wts ... looped in combination lengths these form "hybrid" tips ... emergers and nymphs presentations to steelhead or salmon ... depending on local river levels or the situation on a given day ...

cheers

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I don't know about any 40# Airflo braid but I carry 35# Airflo Non-Stretch Miracle Braid. It is Fl. Green in color and it is quite easy to pull the core out and make braided loops. It is a little spendy but it works very well for loops or as running line. A 40yd spool is $24.95usd.
http://www.redshedflyshop.com/SPEY.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts