Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a braided loop fan ... and have them on most of my single handed gear and have them on my spey tips ... I haven't had a failure yet but I sense I'm bucking the tried and true maxima nail knot to a surgeons loop connection. I'm headed out for some spey fishing in a few weeks ... Should I replace all my loops with 30# maxima?

What is the current wisdom of those who have tried both???

Steve Egge
Puyallup, WA

·
Registered
360 Posts
good old maxima

Ever since I hade a braided loop slip off on a large atlantic I have always used maxima. I have more faith in my knots then anything out of a package,If you trust your knots it should stay put! That's all i have to say about braided loops. :)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Braided loops

done right work very well. It is the done right that is the problem. I use Brian Simonseth's method and have not had a failure. Saltwater fishermen use them -nuff said.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Braided loops, make sure you put them on yourself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Braided or Albright?

I was out doing a little trout fishing with my light spey gear, half of my tip's are rigged with 30 pound butt's tied on with the albright knot. The other half have the braided loop connection. I have managed twenty pound fish with the braided loop's, no failures to speak of. I have duplicated same with albright's.... BUT... I did have the loop unfold, out of itself on a piece of moss while trout fishing. This was a first!

On all my loop's I nail knot & glue and put the sleeve over the nail knot. The unfolding made me go back and read the instruction on the package. This is something men shouldn't have to do when encountering a new project like the kid's first bicycle's, tune-up's, tile work or even Loop connectors. We just don't need instruction's for projects our minds tell us we can figure out for our self's.

Well there it was on the back of that dam package in black and white, put a second nail knot just behind the loop itself.

Dam instructions anyway!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Loops

should always be "double catch" or secured in some other way. The commercial "single catch" loops can and do come open. Dan Blanton has directions on his board for the "double catch" style of loop. Personally, I prefer the Sultan of Splice's (Brian Simonseth) method.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I too use the Sultan of Splice's braided loop method - it is extremely durable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
kush said:
I too use the Sultan of Splice's braided loop method - it is extremely durable.
Can someone please post His Eminence, the Sultan's braided loop method?
Or rpovide a link?
Cheers
dn'l

·
Registered
646 Posts
Double catch braided loops (installed properly) are used by saltwater anglers to catch the largest and strongest fish capable of being caught on fly rods. So, if you build them correctly and take the time necessary, which isn't much, to install them properly they will hold.
Chris

·
Registered
886 Posts
GB Spey said:
WG. Thanks for the very indepth reply from a very experienced speyfisher to a new spey fisher!!!!!! Cheers!!
No bother at all. Glad I was able to help.

·
Speycaster
23 Posts
Braided loops are ok if put on correctly.you should always superglue them so they wont slip off. ive seen them come off more times than enough without glue.For me i always tie on a nail knot with a heavy piece of mono and make a loop on it and then tie your leader to it.this works alot better.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I have used the braided loops in one way or another for a number of years. I have had great success using the pre-made ones and following this recipe.

1) Slide them on over a section of flyline. (I usually shorten them a bit as they come too long.) Work the flyline as far up as possible.

2) Trim the individual mono fibers and then whip finish over the base with thread.

3) Apply super-glue to the 1/4 to 1/2" nearest the whip finish, attach some weight to the loop (around a pound) and hang under tension until the glue thoughly dries. This makes sure that the weave is under tension.

4) Next apply partially thinned Aqual Seal with a toothpick to cover the length of the loop containing the flyline. I use the toothpick to work it into the weave and try to use as little extra as possible so as not to have a bulky buildup.

5) Keep weight on overnight and you have a finished loop.

I have never had one break before and I've pulled on them pretty hard when hung up on a rock.

This is to take nothing away from Brian's recipe as I believe it is probably structurally superior. This is just a bit less labor intensive.

Finally, while in the past I have used braided loops to connect the leader to, I no longer do. I reserve them for tips where I need to do a line to line connection. For the leader, I prefer either heavy maxima or the nail-knotted flyline loop that Poul posted about some time back. I think both offer better turnover.

'tip

·
Registered
128 Posts
'tip,
thanks for the post, is that the same technique you follow for making loops on sinktips? I'm screwing around with t14 for the first time and need a good loop for that.
dn'l

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I make my own and haven't had trouble, steelhead to bluewater. For T-14, I've taken to a simple whipped loop, perfectly effective and low profile

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I have used this in the past on T-14 without problem. For this, I usually use the tips for smaller line sizes. Most of my T-14 these days is spliced to variable lengths of floating line so my tips are all a constant link.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Braided loops

.................Steve,I use braided loops(that I make)to attach the sinktip to my flyline,then nail knot a butt of Maxima to the tip with a Perfection loop for a leader. I have never had either fail on a fish. I have got hung on wood,and had to do what we call the Manistee Shuffle. If you can't pull free,or break the leader(8 or 10 lb. Maxima),then you clamp down on your spool,turn your back,and start walking. I've never had a braided loop fail when doing this,I have broken the 20 lb. Maxima butt or pulled the butt right off the sinktip.:whoa: That said,I prefer the Maxima butt. It is smaller,and the leader loops on better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts