Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was re-rigging a new-to-me st. George for my switch rod today, and when peelling off the old line and backing, I noticed that the reel wasn’t clicking once I got a bit into the backing. Got me thinking; could it be slipping? I know in my single-hand days, I always used braid and would put a strip of electrical tape on the reel before I spooled up, to give the braid something to grip/bite into. Should I do the same, or something similar on my st. George?

Wasn’t really thinking, and proceeded to put my mono runner and skagit head on. And now I’m worried if a fish ever takes me into my backing.

Thoughts?

Ryan

·
Registered
440 Posts
A lot of reel spools have an "eggshell finish" to them.Looks nice, but can cause slippage to backing and knots.I allways start with a double "Granny knot" in the very end of the backing itself, then I loop the backing on in reverse initially, catch a couple of turns on the spool, feed the loose end under itself a couple of times, then reverse to the proper way on the spool and repeat,two turns and a couple of turns under with the loose end.Do it all fairly slack to begin with and then with a bit of deft coaxing you can draw everything down reasonably tight.I then put a turn of electrical insulation tape over the whole thing.
Its never ever come loose, rotated or otherwise caused problems in any way at all.
In my early days of youthful haste and hurry to go fishing I'd 300yds + of braided backing on a Marquis 3 that was simply rotating round the spool when I'd a fish on!,interesting to say the least.
Best way to learn is from your mistakes!
Yorkie.

P.S., if you have to remove line+backing from a spool, I use a local playing field and simply run the whole lot out onto the grass in a straight line do what needs doing then re-wind.Any outdoor wide open spaces will do BUT if your going to use a lane on the Freeway,MAKE SURE ITS VERY EARLY MORNING WHEN ITS QUIET!

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,662 Posts
I try to save myself a frustrating half hour and chuck it straight in the bin.
twice shy, me.

cheers,
shawn
I'm the same way. If I have to get into the backing for some reason in my living room It goes straight into the bin. Dacron it cheap and you will know exactly how much is on there in the end.

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
I'm a "living room floor backing peeler" guy :eek::eek:
I usually don't have stock of backing, only when I know another Olson is on the way :D
My local shops don't carry 30lb dacron backing, only the 20lb stuff so I need to order online and have it shipped out to me, which can take 1-2 weeks. So when I'm fixing a problem or adjusting, I'm saving the backing for a re-spool. Besides, price of a 1000 yard spool is the price of a couple sets of turkey quills :hihi:

Mike

·
Unregistered member
252 Posts
I was a floor peeler too til I got sick of all those gaddang knots that would inevitably occur after a loop got somewhere it oughtn't.

To strip a reel, I put an empty line spool on a quarter inch bolt sandwiched between two nuts and fender washers and spin it on a drill. Loosen the drag on your reel a bit but not quite to freespool (if you stop the drill after it's been going hot, you don't want overrun). It sucks up a lot of line in a hurry but if you're dumb and don't catch that your reel is nearly drained and the backing comes down to the spindle, the spool spins on the bolt because it's just squeezed between the fender washers. No damage that way.

Plus then it's nicely spooled and ready to go.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree with Shawn, but replacing the backing using hand winding can be be a long process. I use toothybugs method to remove backing and it does the job neatly and quickly. To put new backing on the spool, I made a simple device that fits my Abel #3 and #4 spools. The brass rod in the center extends on both sides of the walnut disc. This allows two diameters of spools to be mounted. Also, the holes in the disc are centered on different radii to allow the handles on the spools to be inserted. This is the drive connection to the variable speed drill. I don't use friction alone to drive the spool with this design. See the photos below.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts