Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening lads.
I have owned the 4" Bougle MKIV which actually measured out to 3 3/4",, as we all know. Is the 3 3/4" actually a 3 1/2" as one would assume? Anyone using the 3 3/4" on your shorter spey/switch rods? Curious about weight, backing and lines you are using on it.
Thanks boys.
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
886 Posts
Measured from the pillars rather than the spool, but Mr Bougle was french so what did you expect?

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lack of a true 4" diameter was honestly the only dissapointment i ever had with this reel. I gotta say though that it was a bit of a shock to find only the pillars measured 4"eek:
Still waiting to hear from those using the smaller sizes,,, if you are at all.
Salmon Chaser

·
Banned
974 Posts
I happened have been casting in the backyard while enjoying our balmy Thanksgiving weather and have the 3" Bougle Lightweight III right in front me. It measures the same, by the pillars. That said, I love the Bougle series. Not sure I can stomach Hardy's/Cortland's 2007 prices. Yikes! Talk about a major price hike. :razz:

- David

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just mho

Dwayne
Dunno about Bougley's ,but I'll assume if the Perfect 3 1/2 =a Boogeley 3 3/4
the yeah it works . Stuffed a 6/7 XLT on a perfect 31/2 and haven't had a fish run into the last of the backing yet.Got two 7/8 wt lines ( XLT and a an Airflo Delta) on Perfect 3 3/4 reels.
Cheers

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Actually, if one measures any regular reel spool outer diameter which is e.g. 4 inch, the true diameter of the spool is about 1/4" less, as the pillars are inside the 4", eating up the space. So maybe the 4" Bougle is not that far from any other 4" Hardy, as far as the effectice spool diameter is concerned, as the space eating pillars are outside. Somebody with a 4" Perfect might measure the inner diameter and report us back?

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses lads. I guess i'll conclude the 3 1/2' is too small and not in use much. Thanks for the line suggestions Brian. Lastly i heard that a 4" Perfect measures out at 1/8" shy of 4",, is this right?
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 4" Bougles (M4 and M5) and my 3.75" Perfect (wide spool) are essentially the same size and line capacity, except the 4' Bougles are lighter (the M5 much lighter).

Poul

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Poul said:
My 4" Bougles (M4 and M5) and my 3.75" Perfect (wide spool) are essentially the same size and line capacity, except the 4' Bougles are lighter (the M5 much lighter).

Poul
Just out of curiosity Poul, could you take one measurement from both these reels of yours, namely the distance from the opposite pillar inner surfaces to one another? As this distance IMHO dictates the actual size and line capacity (width excluded of course) of the reel. As a background for my curiosity, I think that this has been Mr. Bougles "grande idee" in the whole reel design. :Eyecrazy: To put the pillars outside of the rim, and thus achieve the more line capacity with less weight.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just measured my 4" Bougle spool OD and compared it to the 3 3/4 Perfect and 4" Perfect. Dead smack inbetween both Pefect spools OD wise. However it is approx 1/8" wider with a similar curve and arbor diameter. Capacity wise the Bougle is only slightly smaller than the 4" Perfect.

As to the question...3 3/4 Bougle is a tiny reel in comparison to its 4" brother. It does hold around 150 yards of 20# with a 5/6/7 spey line or DT8.

William

·
Registered
889 Posts
Check that...I had a bit of time to waste after previously posting...real world capacity of the 4" Bougle is a tad more than the 4" Perfect. Wound the backing from my 4" Perfect to the Bougle and found the same line that was fitting pretty tight now has plenty of room.

William

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
inland said:
Check that...I had a bit of time to waste after previously posting...real world capacity of the 4" Bougle is a tad more than the 4" Perfect. Wound the backing from my 4" Perfect to the Bougle and found the same line that was fitting pretty tight now has plenty of room.

William
Well, Well, that was something I actually expected. Thanks for the effort William, I would have done it myself, but was just missing the Bougle and Perfect parts of the test, having nothing but a pile of Marquises around.

So Mr. Bougle had a great idea after all, what do you know... of course if the size means the appearance of the reel on a rod (looking like too small), not capacity or performance, then all this does not help much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts