Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own three different Mark IV's and on two of them the handles have fallen off while fighting fish! On my little three inch limited edition, the handle popped loose while fighting a sweet 20" brown trout. On my 3.75" model, the same thing happened while fighting a 20+ pound buck steelie in B.C.

For those of you who own these reels, what gives? Both have since been repaired by a certain expert reel smith in Grants Pass, OR.

My buddy who fishes with OLD Perfects has never had this happen. Maybe they don't build 'em like they used to?

Hopefully the repairs will hold as they are sweet reels!

BFR

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Last time I saw him, a renowned NW guide and line-tinkerer had replaced the Original handle with twin handles made from Ross components. Previously they had trouble with the wood of the handle swelling and cracking, but that was supposedly addressed. For the record, I have a 4", which has had no knob problems despite lots of use. Could be bad luck, or maybe you just catch hotter fish :rolleyes: I would certainly trust the repair made by "you know who"

·
Registered
74 Posts
handles

Did it unscrew?
Do you reel righty or lefty?
I think if it's an unscrewing going on, it would only happen reeling right handed (?).

I can't remember if it was a bougle that this happened to me on but on one reel I noticed it loosening. I put some loctite on it and rescrewed it and haven't had the problem since.

I can see how it would be a reel problem to have this happen - did you find a way to land the fish?

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the handle unscrewed, Vinny (right-hand reel), but the reel repair dude had to machine a new post, hopefullly a stronger one. I reel right-handed.

The fish was actually landed, with the help of my fishing buddy. Luckily, the handle came off near the end of the fight. So, while the big buck finned in the current, my buddy whipped out his Leatherman and screwed the handle in the best he could--it was quite a scene! But, the stream side repair got the job done. However, it was too loose to continue the trip so I had to go to my ever-reliable, but not nearly as cool, Ross reel.

Philster, it actually was a hot fish, but the handle still should have held! Also, I haven't had any issues with my 4" reel, either.

BFR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts