Spey Pages banner

Bougle issue

8K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  sinktip 
#1 ·
I purchased one of the new Hardy Bougle reels last spring, one if my favorite Hardy's by far, beautiful looking reel and it performs great. While up on the Salmon river this past Monday, I was fishing in some pretty cold temps 22 in the am but never got above 28 in the afternoon. Ice wasn't much of a problem unless the reel got wet. As I was casting suddenly my spool flew off the reel as did the winding plate and handle.... Wtf I freaked as I was in waist deep water and watch my handle sink and rool down river as my spool did the same rolling down with my running line flying off. Ugh I had to go in and grab both as I tried to use my Feet but I didn't want to destroy the finish on the reel so up to my armpit I go hand first lol it sucked ! I did get both back thank god. Once I got out if the river I noticed the center screw, it had broken off at the head and snapped! Has anyone experienced this in cold temps? As I couldn't believe it broke in half.

#36 ·
I have to question the post that referenced "the number of issues". This comes up on the site once every couple of years at most. How many Perfects and Bougles are out there? Thousands.

I would be willing to bet that far, far more screws have been snapped off by guys tightening when they thought they were loosening due to left hand threads then because the reel is used left hand wind.

One other comment on screw extraction. William covered it well with the drill press post. I would add if the threads don't back out with the drill, once you have drilled a small hole in the center of the sheared screw, thread a small diameter sheet metal screw into the hole. The threads on the screw will bite and a screw driver will give you the torque to back the broken piece right out.

I picked up a pre-war 3 1/2" a number of years ago off e-bay. It had a sheared off screw and a crazed handle that wouldn't turn. Think I got it for $125. Did the drill and screw trick, replaced the screw with one from Highfields, shot some Teflon lube on the handle and I have used it ever since. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.