Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a couple coming my way and was curious how much actual capacity these reels have? Can I fit a long belly line on them or are they better suited to mid bellies?

Thanks for the help,

-sean

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Sean,

While I don't know the actual capacitiy of the Bougle, one of my Thompson buddies has a couple and he uses long bellies and has tons of backing. I don't think you will find them too small.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Sean, the best part (and worst) is people 2 states away will know when you have a fish on. Those suckers are LOUD!!!!! Should be plenty of capacity, and darn pretty to boot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sean,

If I am remembering correctly, I had one set up with around 150 yards 30# dacron (might have been 20#???) and a Grandspey 9/10.

William

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
inland said:
Sean,

If I am remembering correctly, I had one set up with around 150 yards 30# dacron (might have been 20#???) and a Grandspey 9/10.

William
They say the first thing to go is the memory :hehe: You most definitely will not get that on a 4" bougle. A 7/8 grandspey maybe, with probably 100 to 150 yds, depending on what 30# you are using, and how tightly you wind. It really isn't 4". It is 4" from the outside edge of one raised pillar, to the outside edge of the opposite raised pillar. More like 3/4" spool, but quite wide. Nice reel.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It has been over 18 months since that reel has been used, the line long sold, and the backing transfered to another reel.

I went and checked the reel where the backing now sits- it was 20# cortland dacron (micron) and is around 150 yds. The ID, between the posts, of the reel is 3.600 inches and an outer spool width of 1.5. Due to the raised pillar layout you are able to use the extra space, above and beyond the spool OD (which is exactly 3.262). The Bougle has a fair bit more capacity than an Abel #4 standard arbor, for comparison sakes.

William

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sean,

the same as a 3 3/4 perfect when I placed them side by side. Any line other than a Grand Spey or XLT will give you plenty of space. If you feel pressed for backing place some gel spun under the line an you will have plenty of room.

andre

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I don't know how much backing Rick carries, Tyler, but he was fishing GrandSpeys (the 9/10 for sure) on the Bougle last season. I think he said he had 30# Dacron on it. If I remember I'll ask him on Wednesday when I see him.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Lined mine up before Christmas with 150 yards of 30# and another 30 plus yards of 20# backing. Holds a 9/10 GS.
Am only 200 miles away and will listen for any strange sounds, like reel clicking noise.
Leroy..........................

·
Registered
17 Posts
9/10 grandspey and 250 yds of 30lb. micro backing. I even tried an 11/12 grandspey on the same reel, it was ok as long as you had the line strung on the rod, you could wind most of the line onto the reel except for about the last 15 ft. If you are worried about backing capacity you can always cut off some of the rear running line. I have never come close to being spooled.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I have two of them and have never filled them up but have never put more than a 7/8 GS and 140 yds of 30# dacron on it. It was close to full but still had some room.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the help. I will be trying for the 7/8 grandspey and it sounds like it should fit.

If I cannot get it to fit think I am going to go with 150 yards of power pro followed up with 100 yards of 30lb micron and see what happens.

It is gonna look suweet on the salar...

-sean

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a MS 6/7 line on my 4" Boogmeister and that bad boy is packed with 300 yds of 20# backing. Not sure how that translates into the heavier lines with longer bellies, but I can't imagine backing capacity would be a big issue with this reel. You're getting TWO of them? Twice as nice! Beautiful reels, and Hardy is discontinuing the line, in favor of the soon-to-be-released Hardy Boogmeister MK V...

BFR

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Powerpro + Micron

Sean - I have used power pro followed by 50 or so yards of 30# Micron in a number of situations and it works very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts