Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in M&Y to purchase a Loop Blackline 9140 and was picking out a reel to go with when one of the other staff members sold my rod to another lucky devil, well to make amends Rick upgraded me at no extra charge to the Blueline.

I ended up with the Lampson 4 reel and a Scientific Anglers Tri tip system. This system comes with a 15' Floating tip a 15" Slow Sink (clear) and a 15' Type V fast sink. Rick was nice enough to also make me up another tip a 6' long sucker that is a heafty 15grains/foot.

I'll be trying the rod out tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone who offered their advice.

Doug

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Doug,
So does this mean you own a 9140-4 Loop Blue line? That is a sweet ass rod. Dana Sturn, Loop prostaffer as we all know, has been so gracious as to lend me this rod until my Sage which is in for repairs (getting the reel seat fixed) comes back. It is a sweet rod and I am quite impressed with it so far.

My first spey line was the Mastery Tri tip. Not a bad line at all. Only problem with it in my opinion is that the loops on it could use some work (I changed mine after a while to Kevlar loops). I don't know if SA has had the chance to fix this by now? I now own the Grandspey and I am quite impressed with it. You may want to consider adding a few leadcore tips to your arsenal, perhaps 2 - 15 footers, to really get down on top of what Rick gave you.

How much backing and of what kind (IE GSP, or Dacron?) did he get on your Lamson 4? I'm assuming you bought the 10 wt. Mastery tri tip? I'm just asking out of plain curiousity.

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, yes I own the 9140-4 Blue line I'm not sure how much backing I ended up with I think Rick said 300 yards of Dacron but I'm not sure.

The line I got is a 9wt, he said it would load the rod nicely especially for a beginner on the two hand. I've always loved the Lampson reels, soooooooo smooth, I'm going to get an extra spool and put my 9wt line on it for my single hander and I'll use my BFR 140D as a back up now.

I looked at the new Sage, SVP? but it was just a little bit out of my price range ($200) and seeing as I got the Blueline for the same price as the Black I'm pretty happy with the deal he worked for me.

I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow, think I'll try the vedder, or maybe the harrison... have to see

Doug

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Doug,

First off, the Sage is the VPS which would be the 9140-4. I don't think it's only $200 is it? That's a smoking deal, I thought it was more like around $500 (CDN funds we're talking about) ??

The 9140-4 Blue will cast pretty much the same lines my Sage 9140-3 will. It is somewhat similar in that regard and in that case I personally recommend the 10 wt. Tri tip over the 9 wt. The 10 wt. Tri tip I found a nice match for my rod and I could even have moved up to the 11 wt. if I wanted to.

I strongly suggest you get yourself into some good casting lessons if possible financially/time wise. It will be some of the best $$$ you spend. I was very happy with Dana Sturn's course when I attended it over 2 years ago and I recommend you consider it too.

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the VPS was the other rod I looked at, the $200 was $200 difference from the Blue line at $534 to the Sage at $700ish. I took a quick look at some other rods including a 12'4 9wt Greenline but decided to go with the black which ended up being a blue anyway.

I'm just waiting for Dana to get back and I'll set up a lesson with him when he has time, I'm really looking forward to working with this rod, matter of fact I'm enjoying fly fishing again so much I've put both of my sage gear rods up for sale. I just hope my Orvis 5wt, St. Croix avid 9wt and the Blue line will be enough rods to keep me going.

and thanks for the info about the line I may ask Dana to bring along a 10wt for me to try.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts