Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wonder if there are enough interest in the Boston and New England area to hold a spey casting event?

I have been communicating with Jim Valle (MCI, THCI) lately and we thought it might be a good idea to host a casting clave with him in 2012 Spring-Summer. I was just wondering if there is enough interest here in SP. feel free to PM me or contact Jim. webiste http://flycastingmasters.com/jimv.html

Thanks!!

Mark

·
A BIG fish is a GOOD fish
305 Posts
local clave

i have interest. local disciple

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Yes, a New England spey clave would be great.

I have several people in CT who would attend.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback!

That would be wonderful!! Ladies and Gentlemen

Fred (Fkrow), Jerry and I had a brief chat about the gathering last week. It seems we will have supports from the NE reps and the local FF club! Thanks Fk for making it so smooth! I will keep it updated. The event should take place around May.

Mark

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I'm in for sure, especially if it is in Mass

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'd be in if it was in ME, MA, or NH and it wasn't focused strictly on overhead casting. I'd love to try some of the rods and lines I don't own and learn more about Skagit and Scandi casting. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses!

Very cool! Thanks for the responses gentlemen!

We are not going to focus on overhead cast... instead we will be focusing on the river swing fishing (Atlantic salmon fishing). Scandi, Skagit and traditional long line.

I hope FK can chip in and give us more information, so far we should have products from several companies to try out...

The location is preferable on the Farmington river, New Hartford, CT due to several legit reasons.

Mark

·
Oh how I miss the NW
126 Posts
Mark my friend I would love to get back out to my old stomping grounds. I've been meaning to come out and visit you anyway.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark my friend I would love to get back out to my old stomping grounds. I've been meaning to come out and visit you anyway.
Hey John,

That's wonderful!! We need western representatives!! as you already know the couch and dinner are always ready... :)

I will contact more people this week and see if we can post up more info here.

Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
I will keep my eye on this. I am a born and raised New Englander now living in Oregon. All I do is swing for steel here in the PNW with the long rods. I usually take a trip back east to visit family in the summer so this would be fun if the dates line up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks again for the responses.
That would be wonderful!!

Location: Farmington river, New Hartford, CT. http://www.farmingtonriver.com/
Date: Late April - Early May
(will avoid conflicting with Sandy Clave in Oregon)

I am still in the process of contacting rod manufacturers, the first goal of this clave is to have people to test as many rods as possible. Demonstration is also another focus. IF we can not have enough instructors... I will just bring some whisky and let's drink and cast :eek:

Mark

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I haven't been to the Farmington river, does it possess plenty of space for spey casting? I know it has a great reputation but, there might be better options out there

I know April might bring some high water to increase space for casting but there are some nice big rivers in new England that are good for spey all year . . . with spectacular big fishing in April :hihi:

Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks again for the responses.
That would be wonderful!!

Location: Farmington river, New Hartford, CT. http://www.farmingtonriver.com/
Date: Late April - Early May
(will avoid conflicting with Sandy Clave in Oregon)

I am still in the process of contacting rod manufacturers, the first goal of this clave is to have people to test as many rods as possible. Demonstration is also another focus. IF we can not have enough instructors... I will just bring some whisky and let's drink and cast :eek:

Mark

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't been to the Farmington river, does it possess plenty of space for spey casting? I know it has a great reputation but, there might be better options out there

I know April might bring some high water to increase space for casting but there are some nice big rivers in new England that are good for spey all year . . . with spectacular big fishing in April :hihi:
Hey James,

It is! Plenty of parking space and plenty of flats for you to throw a long line... does 120-150' enough for you?! :)

also has a fastfood restaurant nearby in walking distance, not a bad idea for a quick coffee break and using rest room...

Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts