Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking to start tying Spey and Dees for fishing flies. Looking at getting Shewey's "Steelhead Flies" or Verveka's "Spey Flies". Is one recommended over the over? Thanks for any input that one may have.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I just got Veverka's and would not recommend it, unless history of the flies and material discussion is what your interested in. The book features 3 full sbs's on 3 different flies. I have not seen Sheweys book, so I have no input there. I will say the photography in Veverka's book is phenomenal, the best part of the book IMO. If you are interested in his book, mine will probably be offered up here in another week or so.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
I think both books are great. The only knock on Bob's book is that the photo plates and the recipes are often not together so you do a lot of back and forth.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I have both and they are both great books. I prefer the Shewey over the other and yes it is pricey but can be had at a fairly decent price.

If interested in the shewey PM me and we can talk I have an extra copy.

KC

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree with the Marty and Dec DVD, I got one a while back and learned a lot from it. I also have the Verveka book and while it provides a lot of history and a few ideas on materials , it will not show you how to improve your skills. I would like the Shewey book but will not buy before seeing again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are both must haves. Also consider Mike Radencich's books. The Classic Salmon Fly Materials and 20 Salmon Fly books will give you more information than you need right now, but you will grow into them. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Shewey's "Steelhead Flies" not "Spey and Dee Flies"

I am trying to compare Shewey's "Steelhead Flies" book to Verveka's "Spey Flies". Shewey's "Spey and Dee Flies" currently is a little too pricey for me.

I think the recommendations previously posted were comparing Shewey's "Spey and Dee Flies" to Verveka's "Spey Flies". So for someone starting their journey into the world of spey flies which book should be my initial investment - "Steelhead Flies" by Shewey or "Spey Flies' by Verveka? Or something else?

Thanks again for any recommendations and my apologies for any misunderstandings.

·
Registered
506 Posts
OR why not go on archive.com and look at either "george m kelson, the salmon fly", "francis francis, a book on angling" or pryce tannants book for free. Theres a bunch more books but ive ony skimmed through them. All the spey and dee patterns, and how to dress them PROPERLY, are in the old books.

Just a suggestion :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Agree. This was the first spey fly DVD I acquired. I also have Marty's DVD which is very good. First book I received was Sheweys Spey and Dee flies. I must crack that open again sometime soon.

Gerald Bartsch also has a great DVD on tying Spey flies. Does a great job explaining how to mount Bronze Mallard wings. I still watch this one periodically. It will run you less than $30.00.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am trying to compare Shewey's "Steelhead Flies" book to Verveka's "Spey Flies". Shewey's "Spey and Dee Flies" currently is a little too pricey for me.

I think the recommendations previously posted were comparing Shewey's "Spey and Dee Flies" to Verveka's "Spey Flies". So for someone starting their journey into the world of spey flies which book should be my initial investment - "Steelhead Flies" by Shewey or "Spey Flies' by Verveka? Or something else?

Thanks again for any recommendations and my apologies for any misunderstandings.
Sheweys Spey and Dee can be had for around $100 if you look around and find deals. I got mine for half that. For spey and dee flies it blows his Steelhead Flies out of the water. I reccomend getting all three Shewey books. They are the best books in my library for SBS and technique.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Get both Veverka's and Shewey's books on spey (and dee) flies. Together they will provide you with a master's degree (if not a Ph.D.) in the history, materials, and tying of these flies. Shewey's STEELHEAD FLIES is very short of spey and dee technique.

Radencinch has great books, but his minimal info on spey and dee flies, although good, is not the greatest. The reason for this is as he admits in his book 20 SALMON FLIES he rarely ties them because he concentrates on full-dressed and modern free-style salmon flies.

Also, although spey and dee flies (especially spey flies) appear to be simple and easy to tie to the uninitiated, they are really deceptively hard to master due to requiring excellent thread control and tying technique to look good. They really should not be tried by novice or beginning level tyers. Intermediate skill tyers (meaning folks who can tie good trout dry flies, spin deer body hair, #18 and smaller dries and nymphs, bucktail streamers, etc. are who should be attempting to tie spey and dee flies through learning from a book. And yes, I know there are exceptions to this and some beginning and novice tyers have started tying spey and dee flies pretty much right out the box, but it is much easier to learn them if you have Intermediate tying skills.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts