Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried out spey casting earlier this year and loved it. My instructors also advised that I will love spey casting as much as fishing. Spey casting is a discipline in itself. There is quite a bit of material (books, DVDs and this website) on spey casting. Is there any book on fishing and tackle? For example I do understand that there are different types of lines – Traditional, Skagit, weight forward, floating tip, etc; different rods and unique fishing techniques. I read Simon Gawesworth’s book and watched the video….it was excellent as far as casting is concerned, but not fishing, flies and tackle discussion (very little), and I suppose it was not meant to be.

If you look into the single handed world, there are some excellent books on fishing and tackle – ‘Presentation’ by Gary Borger, ‘Caddisflies’ by Gary La Fontaine, etc.

Is there any such book that puts all together - fishing and presentation strategies, flies and tackle in the spey / double handed environment?

Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think you will find more info than any published book right here on the speypages and if you subscribe for only forty bucks you get a ton more info in the subscriber pages. Im also a newbie and the speypages have been my main source on tackle,lines flies you name it. Just start searching away and you will have tons of info. Kevin

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
I think you will find more info than any published book right here on the speypages and if you subscribe for only forty bucks you get a ton more info in the subscriber pages. Im also a newbie and the speypages have been my main source on tackle,lines flies you name it. Just start searching away and you will have tons of info. Kevin

Amen Brother!

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Ditto to above...

Fork out the $40 once, and you will have updates on rods, reels, lines, leaders, tippets, flies, casting methods, where to fish, how others fish etc on a daily and weekly basis.

Call it the SPEY FISHING UNIVERSITY.

$40 a year enrolment, and you can turn up & tune in whenever you like.

However, you will NEVER graduate, as you jus' keep on learning!:chuckle:

You get a free Speypages DVD, and a bumper/window sticker.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with the last posts however I also like having good books. Dec Hogans "Passion for Steelhead" is about as simple and jam packed as it gets.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Trey Comb bible for steelhead fishing. It may be getting dated for some of the tackle advice, but everything else will move you well down the knowledge path.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Spey casting doesn't have as much written works as trout fishing. I agree the Spey Pages is the ultimate spey casting info resource and the books that have been mentioned above are some of the best. Two more books I like are Fine and Far Off by Jock Scott and Autumns on the Spey by A. E. Knox.

The Red Shed has some other books that are of interest to spey fishers of steelhead. http://www.redshedflyshop.com/BOOKS.html

·
Registered
633 Posts
Tackle and presentation continue to evolve. Much of what's written on Skagit style is on these pages or in books no older than 2 years. Rod developments are so rich right now that a book written 5 years ago would be obsolete. Same for lines. Long belly tapers, tapered sinking Scando heads, bulk tungsten sink tip materials and rods are evolving with presentations, and the number of anglers is growing too. The membership here is the book you're looking for.

Best,

Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts