Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously consider ordering Bogadn Reel for my Loop 15' wt.10. To be properly balanced, the rod requires about 11 oz reel. The Bogdan 300M ( WF12F + 225 yards of backing) weights 13 oz, and 400 M ( WF12F + 275 yards of backing ) weights 13.9 oz.
An extra 1 or 2 oz may or may not be an issue after day-long casting.
Another issue I am struggling with is what will happen if small particles suspended in the water, specially after rain, will get between the Darlin and Steel plate which are currently being used in Bogdans brake.
How it may impact the braking materials? I am assuming that Steel plate and Darlin will not effect a consistency of the drag after a reel has been submerged.

I would appreciate comments regarding Bogdan reels.

Martin

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I recently paired a model 150 with a 12'-4" loop, and did manage to hook 5 fish on the set-up at the end of this season (atlantics - not steelhead).

No problems were experienced, but perhaps someone with a few more years using one might weigh in on your concerns.

My only problem is that it will take a few more years before I sell the "bride" on the idea of another one! Damn mortgage payments!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Big Reels

Once screwed to a fifteen, sixteen or seventeen-footer, even the 400 doesn't seem particularly large--certainly not oversized for the purpose. As for ounce-counting, it's a fluid weight shuttle between lengthening casts and retrievals.

Big Bogdans are a nice match for your Loop rod and the quest for balance. If you have a shot at a 300 or 400, jump on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts