Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Judging from the Nordic 300 that came in mail last week, and which is now sitting next to me . . . you, um, well, you have a lot to look forward to.

The reels are mostly the same except the 400 is 4" diameter with a 1.625" spool width and a 15.5 oz weight; whereas the 300 is 3.75" dia. with a 1.375" spool and 12.5 oz. weight (or so says the Wm. Hunter website). Both are multipliers with a ~2:1 ratio -- good for getting all that fat line off the water when the fish charges upstream. There is an 11 setting drag system, which from what I can tell is about 9 settings too many, but does allow for a very cool, utilitarian drag adjustment lever on the reel's backplate. The outgoing click is nice and throaty (although quieter than a Bouglé) yet can be turned off for those curious few who prefer a silent reel -- monks, maybe? I don't know. I'm not sure what the drag design is. The backplate has three mechanisms: the above mentioned drag lever, the self-abnegating click supressor, and, in the middle, a dust cap which protects a little hole where you can fill'er up with oil. Oil! I love it. But don't unscrew this without the backplate facing up as it will leak a little, at least mine did.

All in all the things a thing beauty and I can't wait to get it lined up and out on the river.

Cheers,
dan'l

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

DSteady,

I'm very curious what the actual weight of your 300 is. I've seen the Hunter website but it conflicts with the faxed paper copy Stephen Bogdan sent me last fall.

I think over time the various (indiscernable) changes in materials to the reels have caused fluctuations in weights.

I'd like to get one but was concerned about them being too heavy. I'm dying to learn the actual weight.

Also, what year make is your Bodgan? A recent, brand new, Stephen model?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston
Toronto

·
Registered
128 Posts
Preston,
I haven't weighed the 300 yet and don't have access to a very accurate scale, but I will try and find one and post here on what I find.

My 300 is a brand new 2006 "Stephen" model. I'm very happy with it, although I haven't fished it yet. I have heard it said that Stephen has built most of the Bogdans over the last 10 years or so anyway, but I have no way to verify that, it's just some gossip I came across when querying other Bogdan owners. The nameplate is identical to older Bogdans when Stan was still of this world.

I have to say I expected my reel to feel a ittle heavier in the hand than it did, and this caused me to wonder if they had phased in some lighter materials or techniques.

Will post a weight soon,
Dan'l

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bogdan

I have one produced by Steve and one my father left me that Stan constructed in the early 70's for single handed rods and find they are identical in performance, however, the Large Steelhead (newer) (3.5") is lighter then the (older) 00 salmon(3.25") diameter reel so possibly the metal gauge has changed over the years. The weight difference was 31 grams. In any event a fantastic reel. Tight Lines.

It is all about the hunt
Chas

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Bogdan Nordic 400

I wonder if the weight difference Chas cites is due to the different drag systems? The large Steelhead is a fixed click drag reel, while the OO salmon has the usual Bogdan drag system used in the salmon reels. The latter is vastly more complicated with lots more parts.

On the question of differences, I've seen plenty of Bogdans and can't personally tell any difference at all. The only ones that are uniquely identified as "Stan" reels are the older all gold reels he made for A & F. Otherwise, I'd be sorely pressed to tell whether a given reel was a "Stan" or a "Stephen".

Keith

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Bogdan Nordic 400

PS: to my earlier post.

Regarding the comment about Stan above, unless he passed away during the last 3 weeks he's still very much "of this world". I met him just recently at a dinner. Keith

·
Registered
128 Posts
SalmonCane said:
PS: to my earlier post.

Regarding the comment about Stan above, unless he passed away during the last 3 weeks he's still very much "of this world". I met him just recently at a dinner. Keith
Gulp. I guess I was mistaken. I was sure I'd heard he'd passed. Good to know then that he's still aound. My apologies to Stan and his family.

As for weight, I did get the Nordic 300 on an ounce scale and it weighed 13.3 oz. without backing or line. The scale was pretty dinged-up so I'm not sure of it's accuracy, but that's what I got.

Cheers,
daniel

·
Registered
643 Posts
Stan Bogdan

I spoke with his daughter in-law today, and Stan, at age 90 now, is still throwing a line and even coming into the shop to do some small tooling. This year's trips included Norway and Scotland. A model to live by.

Cheers to all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.