Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to cast a 13' cane double-hander built by the Kispiox's Bob Clay the other day. It was a beautiful rod and a very interesting casting experience. The few cane rods I have cast have "thrown me for a loop", the slow actions make even CND Experts seem stiff! This was not as slow as most and I did better with it.

The surprising thing for me was that the rod was excellent at the sustained-load type of Skagit cast. Yes I know, WIllie Gunn will likely blow a gasket - skagit casting with cane... :eek: But, I guess it makes sense, the slow casting stroke and ability to maintain its load through the cast is perfect for the Edgit cast! I did need to slow down a tad, but not much and the only real difference was to refrain from hitting it as hard on the delivery. Otherwise it cast very well and would be fun to fish.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
clay's cane spey

I cast his 13ft last summer.I cast his rods in 2003 also.I felt there were big improvements in the 05 versions .they work very well with the skagit lines.the 13 felt very strong and I needed only one cast to get the speed required and then rocked the next few casts.there was not that typical downward push followed by a rising front edge to the loop.It was capable of a more clothes line type of cast with more energy going strait out instead of down and out.I liked it.It would be great to fish it with a early Perfect or a Dingley like Bob uses.I see it in my future! Beau

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cast a Grant Vibration rod at Spey-O-Rama a couple of years ago and it had the same set-up - so this rod's "ferrule" wasn't a surprise. It is cool.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Bob Clay Rods

Hey Kush,
I hope the Grant Vibration did'nt have a cork handle :chuckle: , i hope to get to try out one of Bob's rods next time i'm over, well that should'nt be to long.
Gordon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
if you are going to spey cast cane that ferrule is the way to go. Ron Grantham uses a very similar system. BTW Kush check your PM.

\B

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bob Clay rods

Bob Clay is planning to be at the Spey-O-Rama in San Francisco, so we should be able to try some of his rods. Hollowbuilt and with spliced joints, so about as light as bamboo can be made. Should be fun.

·
Registered
545 Posts
bob's new rods are amazing, fun to cast fishing tools and Bob is a great guy. I am looking forward to one day owning and fishing one of his cane two handers.

greg

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got to spend a bit more time with that rod on Saturday at Marlow's Clave. I used a CND 8/9 line on it and it was really quite pleasant. This is more than I can say for my other forays with cane double-handers (though admittedly these have been relatively few).

With a nice smooth stroke - no "pop" allowed - the line opened out very nicely. I couldn't get a really tight loop, but the rod isn't made for that. It was nice and I could see myself fishing one quite happily (except for the price tag). If one was really set on a cane rod to spey cast I would recommend this Bob Clay rod.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I also recommend Bob Clay's cane rods. I don't have one but I WANT ONE!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts