Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I just got a custom-made rod based on Loop Blueline 8-9 12´4´´ blank. I normally use - and will use with this one also - Loop´s Adapted heads, but in addition I want one speyline for it.
I think Rio WindCutter Spey floater should suit my castingstyle. Any suggestions, which weight WC Spey I should buy? Line is used for both single- and doublespey?
FinnSpey

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depending on your level of experience and preference, either the WC 7/8/9 or 8/9/10 is recommended for the Loop Blue 12'4".

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

Loop do their own Spey line which has a short head, like the Windcutter. It did very well in a recent comparative test in Trout & Salmon magazine, though I have a feeling they may be rejigging it for 2004 - it doesn't seem to appear on their website currently. Maybe Dana or someone else with Loop affiliations can advise on its status.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank´s guys!
I think I will stick to Adapted heads and try both 8-9 and 9-10.
I bought a reel for this one, Loop LW Evotec 811 (old version) and it can´t take real speyline, anyway. So I rigged it with 150 yards gel-spun 30 lbs and some 25 yards of Amnesia 40 lbs for shootingline. It still has enough capacity to take Adapted 9-10 floating head.
Btw: any suggestions for connecting gel-spun (dyneema etc.) backing and Amnesia, Rio Slickshooter or equivalent shootingline?

FinnSpey

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi FinnSpey,

For attaching backing and mono-shootinglines I've used regular nailknot with simple "backup"knot in shootingline.

Best method (so far) for shootingline and sh.head connections: Make quite a big loop from dacron and tie it with allbright-knot to slick shootingline. as seen in attached image:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank´s!

Thank´s JLN
for good tip!
Large dacron loop I have used before when I used dacron backing - but I made the loop separately and attached it to backing with simple uni- or clinch-knot. This has never failed. Now the problem was "modern" gel-spun backing, which is very slippery. But I think your system is ok, and maybe I add a drop of superglue?
FinnSpey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Make a loop to the gsp (bimini twist or other good loop knot) and join a looped dacron to it by "figure eighting" and tie the single dacron to the running line. Should hold and the gsp won't be able to eat up the dacron.

Figure eighting:
Put this into search engine like google:

bionic braid figure eight

and you'll find it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts