Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Very nicely done!

Your speys have come a long way in the last year. Escellent job on tenting the GP breast feather wings.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Russ,

Thanks for your kind workds. Seeing that I haven't wet a line since September, I have been very busy working on Classics and Freestyle Atlantics as well as speys and dees. Nothing like time behind the vise to fine tune ones techniques!

The wings are actually a really beautiful maroon flank feather from a wood duck. I picked up this pelt while fishing the Salmon River in NY and have yet to use any of the feathers from it until yesterday. I tied this one for a steelhead/salmon swap on another site.

I will post some more later when I get the chance, especially the classics I have been working on.

Vinnie

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Vinnie,

Yep, nothing like time at the vise tying spey, dee, freeestyles, and classics to improve your tying.

I would have never thought the wing was the woodduck feather you mentioned, probably because I'm so used to using and seeing GP breast feathers, which have a very similar color.

I look foreward to seeing your other flies.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Wings...

Nice fly...and here's a question for all of you Spey/Dee fly tying Jedi:

What is the trick for tying in the wings on Spey and or Dee flies? I can not seen to make them look as pretty as yours!:eek:

Maybe I need to be drinking more of the sweet brown water from Speyside as I try to tie them...or maybe less!!! The Glenrothes 1984 has been treating me all too well on these cold and windy GL winter days/nights.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy John, thanks for the wing compliment.

As for setting them, practice, practice and more practice with your soft loop will get you there. With tented wings like this one, i just tie them in on the sides and slightly canted inwards to create the tent. I am sure there are others out that have their way and you too will find your way down the path of wing setting. Check out Shewey's book on speys and dees, he has a great chatper on wing setting.

Vinnie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts