Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Love this fly. Im trying to include more smallish flies in my regulars. Would you mind posting materials?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the steps I used to tie this fly:

Hook: Diiachi 3 AJ Salmon/Steelhead
Body: 4 wraps of small silver Mylar tinsel; leave the Mylar tag long for eventual counter wrapping; 2 thread of purple yarn tied to half way section of shank (don't apply too much pressure on the yarn, it is somewhat fragile and can tear); tie in the tip of one side stripped purple color Ringneck Pheasant feather; continue with purple yarn forward to end of hook eye end and tie off; Palmer pheasant feather forward with spaced wraps (less is better) and tie off; Counter wrap tinsel gold side forward and tie off
Underwing: 8 or 10 strands of Ice Dub Shimmer UV blue twice the length of hook
Throat: One side of Guinea fowl 3 or 4 wraps; feather "fuzz" from base of guinea fowl on underside of throat
Tented Wing: tie in a large matched pair of Bronze Mallard
Head Coating: 5 coats of Sally Hansen Hard As Nails

Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to tie everything together. I try not to look for speed and actually find the process relaxing. If things don't lay right, I take them apart and redo. I have what's called a non essential tremor in both hands, especially my right and tying the tented wings can be quite the challenge, but I believe therapeutic.

·
Administrator
18,325 Posts
Really nice fly ... great colour combination too !!
I think this will line the fish up from the other bank :hihi:
One word of advice .... hold on tight !!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts