Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drags are for Sissys
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... started fishing a new Great Lakes river, very very clear water. Some spey caster was hooking many steelhead on "a blue and silver" fly. Can you guys recommend a few patterns with blue and silver.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Easy

The "Silver Blue" an Atlantic salmon fly. origionated in the UK for Atlantics but seldom used their any more, but can be spotted in an icelanders box. and great for steelhead!

tag: Oval silver tinsel
Tail:GP topping *optional
Rib:same as tag
Body:Flat silver tinsel
Throat:FL. Blue schlappen
Wing: Gray squirrel tail
Head: Red or balck

Also tie it with a long White artic fox wing and long Black artic fox wing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's a similar pattern I tie that has proven well with steelhead. It is slightly more complicated.

Twilight Spey:
Hook: Alec Jackson Spey or similar
Tag: oval silver tinsel
Tail: GP crest topping
Body:
rear 1/3 flat silver tinsel
front 2/3 kingfisher blue dubbing
Rib: oval silver throughout
Hackle: dark bl. schlappen from front 1/3 forward
Collar: kingfisher Bl. GP breast feather
Wing: light blue Arctic Fox.
Cheeks: Jungle Cock, optional.

if you're tying these in small sizes (8-10) you may want to substitute a whole body of flat silver tinsel for the dubbing and schlappen above, less complicated.
cheers,
dan'l

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've been a fan of the old SILVER BLUE salmon fly for summer/fall steehead here in the PNW. The main difference to the one M.J.Adams gave the pattern to is I use teal for the wing (as per the original featherwing from the 1800's) and don't consider the topping (golden Pheasant crest feather) optional. Also, I prefer to use very light blue hackle instead of fl. blue; although the slightly darker fl. blue works too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi flytyer, when I fish the silver blue for atlantic salmon I also use the original pattern rather then the hairwing, great fly.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
M.J.

Yep, I agree it is one of the best for summer steelhead too, especially in clear, low-water water on bright days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i also fish michigan waters for steelhead an salmon. most of the time they are low an clear. thanks for the matterial in that fly, but a pic sure helps also. can someone help with a picture?

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Silver Grey

Here's a small version of the Silver Grey we use in Newfoundland for Atlantics, mostly in sizes #10-#6, and usually fished hitched. In June, I'd say it's my #3 go-to fly. I tie a polar bear underwing (white or yellow) which helps support the teal, and adds a bit of wing sparkle.
John

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts