Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with Steelhead fishing in any of the rivers near Blind River Ontario?

My Family owns some land just outside of town and I would like to target steelhead in the spring, I have fished for pink salmon in some of the smaller rivers but have never had a chance to target steelhead.

Any related or somewhat related information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, how about any information on North channel Lake Huron rivers.

Thanks in advance, the next request will be for Ontario then Canada as a whole. :D:D

·
Drags are for Sissys
324 Posts
somewhat related only:

Blind River is pretty close to Sault Ste. Mary Ontario and the St. Marys river rapids where many fish for Pink, Chinook and Atlantic Salmon as well as steelhead.

As far as Blind River Ontario (as mentioned in the Neil Young song, Long May You Run, had to say that) is concerned there is the Mississagi River just west of town.

Just google "mississagi river steelhead" to get an idea of that river.

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
The North Channel area is not exactly the steelhead mecca of Ontario. In fact the rivers along that shoreline and extending down to eastern Georgian Bay probably support fewer steelhead than any other part of the Great Lakes. As Wayne already mentioned, the Mississagi is worth a try, though it is better known for walleye and sturgeon. Check the fishing regs for size limits and seasons if you feel like walleye for lunch http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/mnr_e001330.pdf.

The good news is that you have to cross the St. Mary's Rapids to get there from your hometown. If you really need to actually hook a steelhead, I would try to free up some time to hit the rapids on the way there or back.

Have fun up there this spring. Its a beautiful spot.

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to visit Blind River for fishing with my friends but I have no idea which season is best to go there. LCH, would you like to tell me when we should go there to enjoy this great activity? And give me some tips or suggestions that are helpful for this trip.

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
Sent you a PM Gerald55. Warning: with my travel advice, you get what you pay for.

Good luck,

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts