Spey Pages banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I picked up a specially tool on-line for twisting mono and other materials to gut substitution. Not a bad idea to find one if you anticipate lots of future tying
Tim did you get that domestically, I can only find them in Japan or Europe and the shipping is prohibitive if in stock, cameron

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
What is the tool and where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thank You!!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I have to chime in...drylinetim's twisted mono that he gifted me a while back is probably my favorite gut substitute.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ah yes...the Orimupasu thread spinner. That I have, and it works well. I was just wondering if you had found something else that might have been of interest. Thanks again.............

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You're right about it working well Matt...but $64.53 ain't cheap...unless you compare it to an original Kelson gut twister which goes for $500 and up if you can find one. There is only one left in stock in the US on Amazon that I could find. Otherwise you would have to wait for shipment from Japan...as in a couple of weeks minimum.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
What do you use for your eye on a blind eye fly?
Interesting Vic, I think I might try that idea. How do you find the wear on the straight mono??
I can say that I do like the dacron for allowing the fly to wiggle and sway in the current, however the mono would offer good keeling qualities.

Mike
Mike, I haven't noticed any wearing down of the loop eye or the knot on the tippet. 20# mono/fluoro matches the diameter and the stiffness of real gut for the hook sizes I've used it on.
Plus mono is cheaper so it's an easy choice between securely gutted flies or wanting to economize with real gut.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts