Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for your eye on a blind eye fly?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would contact John at feathers mc as he has silk gut material available on his site or you can use backing material also.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Twisted up mono works too, AO has some, or did!

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are blind eyes supple or do you harden them with cement?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are blind eyes supple or do you harden them with cement?
Don’t harden them. The AO stuff is good if available. I’d recommend the small size. There’s a couple good videos on YouTube for making your own, Davie Mcphail has one and I think Ryan Houston does as well. The easiest cheapest route is white Dacron in a good thickness (50lb+ or so).

·
Administrator
19,223 Posts
I typically use #20 Cortland Micron Backing. No issues.

Twisted mono is cool, gives a unique flavor.

A word of caution when fabricating blind eye loops.
Keep the eye loop length to a minimum and ensure there is minimal exposed shank after tying.

Here's a Step-By-Step:

Get an even thread base on the shank

Make a loop with the material and secure close to the end of the shank

Continue the thread wraps evenly with good thread tension.

The end result is an even under lay

A nice even eye loop.

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,177 Posts
What about using a braided mono and slipping it over the hook shank? Secure with thread wraps and/or glue. I haven't tried it yet but it seems doable.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use Jin Woo Lee's method of sanding, waxing and twisting mono as a gut sub. It's not a true 3 strand furled sub, but doesn't require any special tools. Visually it looks great, and strong enough to fish. It doesn't compress down as nicely as backing or real silk gut, so you need to be mindful of the bulk when tying it the full length of the shank, especially with floss bodies. A layer or two of Uni-Stretch floss over top will smooth things out nicely.

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesn't the blind end of the hook shank wear out the loop material?
I was curious about that also, this blind eye method may be more then I want to tackle right now... I just seem to find a lot of blind eye metal available online and not so much of the fixed eye :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m curious. Is anyone using any of the packaged braided mono lines that are out there?
I have used the braided stuff and actually like it if you can find a material with a tight weave. The loop wearing out from the end of the shank doesn't seem to be an issue, at least with the folks I talk with. Having said this, they all have their drawbacks but let's assume we're all phenomenal casters and fisherman so the fly will stay intact long enough for the eye attachment to be an issue ;)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Doesn't the blind end of the hook shank wear out the loop material?
Not an issue when the lop is bound tight and close to the very end of the shank the way Mike shows above.

I just use 20# fluorocarbon or mono for the loop anymore.

·
Administrator
19,223 Posts
Not an issue when the lop is bound tight and close to the very end of the shank the way Mike shows above.

I just use 20# fluorocarbon or mono for the loop anymore.
Interesting Vic, I think I might try that idea. How do you find the wear on the straight mono??
I can say that I do like the dacron for allowing the fly to wiggle and sway in the current, however the mono would offer good keeling qualities.

Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ok, this thread is pushing me over the edge. I have three blind eye irons a friend gifted me a few years ago and I've held off venturing into gut eyes, but today I'll do it.

What is the best tippett to fly knot when using gut or gut sub eyes? A perfection loop or another?
I doubt my double turles will work with a soft eye material.

·
Administrator
19,223 Posts
I use a Surgeon's loop which is essentially a double over hand loop knot. It has 100% strength. I make a loop about 3" for attaching my Dee flies. Fish don't seem to mind the elongated loop either.

Mike

·
Coastal PNW
779 Posts
I picked up a specially tool on-line for twisting mono and other materials to gut substitution. Not a bad idea to find one if you anticipate lots of future tying

1 - 20 of 30 Posts