Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever woke up in the morning with an idea in your head that you think could change the world, or atleast your own little world? I'm not claiming to be the first to tie a fly of this style, but I amazed myself with this one. I kind of think the way winter keeps holding on here in West MI has my creative juices flowing even when I am asleep.

I looped a Gama Finesse #6 onto some #50 braided mono, slid a small "spacer" tube down to the thick spot in the braide, then looped an eye in the other end, judging size with the larger tube I planned to tie the body on. I then put the larger tube in the tube vise, sized up the length of the tail, and tied down the rabbit strip, letting the mono braide hang. I tied the body of the fly, let the cement dry, and slid the mono through the larger tube. Make sense? When I tie the next one I plan to use #30 mono, the #50 seems a bit stiff.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jamey,

Cool idea. Let me get it straight - you have the hook eye as part of the loop. Therefore do you plan to tie up a number of these set-ups to carry along in case you dull a hook? It still sounds like a decent idea - I will think about it some more. :smokin:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that would be part of the down side. Although, I guess you could rethread a different hook through, but it would be time consuming, and the spacer tube is pretty much permanent, but if you pulle the mono tag all the way up to the tube you tie on it would eliminate the need for the spacer. You could carry around a bunch of the hook/mono combos to stack tubes on also. Back to the drawing board.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution

Just tie a knot in the mono to prevent the tube from sliding down any further than desired, Duh! I guess I wasn't fully awake when I got into the first one.

Attachments

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
That is one nasty looking leech pattern. will the 50lb braided mono prevent the removal of the hook? is that all rabbit hair or some marabou in there as well as the collar?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its rabbit strip. The olive one has a schlappen and mallard flank collar on it. Only problem I foresee is if you wanted to change hooks, you would have to pinch down the barb, threading the mono through the tube isn't really all that easy. I plan to use a piece of heavy mono folded in half like you would use a piece of fine wire to thread a bobbin. The fly in the lower pic has a short piece of tube tied to the rabbit strip where the hook is threaded through. Its a larger diameter than the front tube so it will slip over the knot that prevents the smaller diameter front tube from sliding back. This prevents having to pinch down the barb on the hook, and threading the hook through the strip multiple times. The eyes on these gamas are too small to use the junction tubing that fits the larger tubes. I ran out of #30 mono, so the last one is a bit short

1 - 7 of 7 Posts