Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a Spey Rod of 13' or 13'6", and preferably for 8 weight lines. It should be suitable for floating, sink-tip, and possibly intermediate lines on medium rivers.

I've heard the Batson/Rainshadow Xcel 13' 8/9 described as a "rocket launcher". I would like to know if this means it is more suitable for overhead casting, or, does it have a good powerful spey action?

I've also looked at Bob Meiser's website and like the sound of his blanks(they also do the line size I require 7/8). The problem being that the Rainshadow blank can be sourced cheaper.

I can only rely on forums like these for advice on american tackle, as suppliers of rod building components are very thin on the ground over this side of the pond. So thumbs up for a great forum:D

I do not want to spend a lot of cash on a rod blank only to discover that when I finish the build, the rod does not have the action I would like.
Any recomendations on a blank would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I`ve built on both...

,,actually they were switches and this was 2 yrs ago.
My advise is to definitely go for the Meiser.
It doesn`t cost much more and is a much higher quality.
Mediocre noodle vs. World Class IMO....or think on this-
if you break a tip due to pilot error,Batson wants =/-$40 plus shipping
to replace it [double check on this figure,I could be wrong]...there is down time too,but not with Meiser as I understand.
I thought my Batson was rather brittle but maybe I`m biased.
But,I understand Batson has redesigned their blanks so who knows...
So, for $60-70 more, it`s a "no brainer" for me....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts