Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
flytie09
532 Posts
This thing will make you all googly eyed if you stare at it long enough. Very fishy indeed. Thanks for sharing this one.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,413 Posts
Super sexy pattern for sure.

I have to take swallow hard though every time I see a Mahoney variant on here though. They are not a Mahoney any more than a Black Heron is an Orange Heron or Showgirl is a Popsicle. It is one thing to sub a material if you don’t have what the original called for. It is another to change the color of almost every part of a patter and called it a variant.

Sorry as you are just getting this pushback as your pattern was simply the last straw. This is a great pattern and will serve you well on many a river. Name it what you will. You don’t have to give homage to Dec because he certainly didn’t invent the style - just the color combo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super sexy pattern for sure.

I have to take swallow hard though every time I see a Mahoney variant on here though. They are not a Mahoney any more than a Black Heron is an Orange Heron or Showgirl is a Popsicle. It is one thing to sub a material if you don’t have what the original called for. It is another to change the color of almost every part of a patter and called it a variant.

Sorry as you are just getting this pushback as your pattern was simply the last straw. This is a great pattern and will serve you well on many a river. Name it what you will. You don’t have to give homage to Dec because he certainly didn’t invent the style - just the color combo.
Interesting take, see I've always seen it the other way and am actually a little bothered when I see people claiming to "invent" a pattern when clearly every component, colour aside, is the same as an existing one. Now I suppose you could say that Dec might not have invented this one by the same arguement (though I must admit my mental pattern library isn't extensive enough to think of another with the exact same composition). However, I wouldn't feel right claiming this or anything else to be an original when I know what my own reference was in the tying process. Anyways, I can see both arguments personally, now back to tying! 🙂

·
Registered
339 Posts
I dont care what it's called or isn't called... that color combo is crazy, but for some reason it works! Nice tie!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
this fly takes me back to my LSD days back in the 60's! Jimi Hendrix "Crazy Ladyland". Right on!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It is a nice tie. Like Billie Bob Shakespear said "A name, what's in the name..". All kidding aside if your inspiration was the Mahoney, it certainly has served you well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
More importantly, whats your light box setup and how're you getting it to stand so nicely? Photoshopping out the holder? Great shot and beautiful fly.

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Beautiful colours on this fly, quite mesmerizing o_Oo_O

I agree with Duggan, Dec did not "coin" this style of fly, only the colours of materials used in sequence to make his pattern what it is.
Variants can be called out on "slight" or minor changes of a pattern. Once you have substituted some colours and materials, it's a new pattern.
Dec did this with the vintage Akroyd, substituted some colours and materials and called it a Skagit Mist.
As always, opinions matter and all may vary ...

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts