Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8/0 display, Black Prince variant, sub body veiling's with impeyan monal rather the IC. Damn crests gave me fits...

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I think you did an amazing job on this one :smokin:
Progressively uniform and perfect profile ... she really has a nice flow !!
Great work !!

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, merry Christmas to you guys, hope all is well, hello from California

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I absolutely love the shape of the crests...the whole thing is beautiful! Very nice job on this one:smokin: CJ
:eek: thanks CJ, its was fun for sure, took my time and just tried to do my best. I gots me two more giant hooks coming to play with!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Very nicely tied.

That said, it never ceases to amaze me the number of tyers who tie these flies, the Pirate Series, on large or super large hooks. I say this because Kelson and Pryce-Tannat both mention using hooks that are 1/2" to 3/4" for these flies. That is a rather small hook since they are talking about the hook measuring not more than 3/4" from hook eye (or end of shank) to the bend. The modern #8 salmon and #10 salmon irons are about the right size. Yes, it is much harder to tie the fly on such small hooks and not have it look very "busy and crowded", but it is possible and is historically correct. That is if you believe Kelson and Pryce-Tannat knew what they were talking about.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nicely tied.

That said, it never ceases to amaze me the number of tyers who tie these flies, the Pirate Series, on large or super large hooks. I say this because Kelson and Pryce-Tannat both mention using hooks that are 1/2" to 3/4" for these flies. That is a rather small hook since they are talking about the hook measuring not more than 3/4" from hook eye (or end of shank) to the bend. The modern #8 salmon and #10 salmon irons are about the right size. Yes, it is much harder to tie the fly on such small hooks and not have it look very "busy and crowded", but it is possible and is historically correct. That is if you believe Kelson and Pryce-Tannat knew what they were talking about.
Thanks, since these flies are for me and display only, I like to bind them on giant hooks, these are Harrison Bartleet bends from Ronn Lucas. Hope to have the collection of Major Traherne's done all in this size. It is tough to find crests this long.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
for what it is worth

I'll give you a tip as I innernet thumbs up you...

see the rachis in your keels?
decide on which way you would like them to bend and follow that pattern throughout the fly (eg. look at the bottom back as opposed to the bottom front).
this applies to junglecock for that horrible fish bone pattern and the jay in the jay pt.
if you're to keel your body feathers, arc them with the same concave/convex... and do the mirror image for the above/below.

I think it looks better... and how do I know this?
I've done the exact same with my trahernes only to notice and beat myself up over it.

cheers mate,
most wouldn't even notice... or care,

shawn

note: bottom front sounds much better than front bottom and self-congratulatory critiques still suck.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll give you a tip as I innernet thumbs up you...

see the rachis in your keels?
decide on which way you would like them to bend and follow that pattern throughout the fly (eg. look at the bottom back as opposed to the bottom front).
this applies to junglecock for that horrible fish bone pattern and the jay in the jay pt.
if you're to keel your body feathers, arc them with the same concave/convex... and do the mirror image for the above/below.

I think it looks better... and how do I know this?
I've done the exact same with my trahernes only to notice and beat myself up over it.

cheers mate,
most wouldn't even notice... or care,

shawn

note: bottom front sounds much better than front bottom and self-congratulatory critiques still suck.
Been beating myself up about the keels since I progressed each segment. I just flat out didnt pay attention to that detail enough, same on the previous one too... Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Nice Matt, you certainly are dialing this style in. W Shawn's advise, I'm sure the next will be even better. Cheers buddy.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Well-played, Matt.

And thanks for the community tip, Shawn.

Matt, I know this is not for fishing but in case anyone else wants to give a Black Prince some water time...as Russ mentioned, I tied this pattern on a smaller platform and fished it up in BC...I tell you what, it's strikingly fishy.

Cheers.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well-played, Matt.

And thanks for the community tip, Shawn.

Matt, I know this is not for fishing but in case anyone else wants to give a Black Prince some water time...as Russ mentioned, I tied this pattern on a smaller platform and fished it up in BC...I tell you what, it's strikingly fishy.

Cheers.
Thanks!
Yes I believe it may have been described as lively in the water and leech like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts