Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i havnt been able to tie much at all recently. Being an engineering student really takes its toll on free time. But i managed to tie a JS for a buddy and a maxwell black dog. Its true to the pattern, other than the swan, on a really big 5/0 vintageish hook. I plan on fishing it this spring :). Should sink like a rock. The JS isnt my best. Oh ya both in hand too. Ive been playing around with different styles and winging techniques. i have so many flies id like to tie but i will never have the time to do it!

Id like to get into tying classic flies redesigned onto tubes, but i can never find long enough fox for it. Where can i get goat or other soft long hairs? I hate icelandic sheep.

Sorry my phone cant post more than one at a time!

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
How long of fox do you need? Did you try Marble Fox? It's longer than Arctic Fox.

check out the new sponsor: skeenariverflysupply.com Jaap has some goat and snowrunner to address the need for furs longer than fox...

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
long dog

Andrew,
I have been using some material from Skeena River Fly Supply out of Smithers that Jaap has called "Snow Runner". It is plenty long and after tying up a few tubes with it put it in the water and it moves really well. Might try it. good luck!
Loren

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, and im not sure if the JS will be getting fished. I used real gut and its pretty old, a thin fluoro tippet will cut right throught it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts