Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hope you are all well out there, since it looks like i will be having a lot of time off the next two plus weeks, like many of you, guess i will spend a lot of time at the bench, so I decided to kick off the tying sessions to keep occupied with a Doctor, thought it would be a good start :grin2:, a few worts and an omission of the pintail, mine is just the dregs at the moment, and the wood duck, but over all this is probably my best attempt at a classic atlantic so far, and yes its tips up Mike, sorry :chuckle:, stay healthy out there, Cameron

Attachments

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
253 Posts
Very nice. Congrats. This is one of my favorite patterns on an overcast day or when the light fades at dusk. May I make a suggestion for a fine companion in the Wheatley or Noroda salmon fly box.? Most anglers are aware of the Silver Doctor, which is also a tried and tested bright pattern, but they are not as familiar with another member of the trifecta, the Blue Doctor. This is a very elegant pattern and now over looked by most anglers looking for a bright fly with a touch of blue on a sunny day. This distinctive fly with its dazzling light bright blue wrapped body, has worked magic in tough conditions.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Beautiful work Cameron. These elaborate patterns are the pinnacle of fly tying. I am convinced that the shift from what the fish wants to what the angler wants occured in this area and era of the sport. My hat is off to you and anyone else who can replicate these patterns. I dare not try at this time. Well done. As a side note, I recently read that PT was known to make ellaborate patterns even more complicated. So if you omit an ingredient from the recipe, no worries. It is fine tying either way.

Nate

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Multiple Bravos Cameron

Bravo for a fly well tied
Bravo for "Tips Up"
Bravo for not worrying about a lack of pintail
And Bravo for tying a Doctor at this point in time

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Well done. The wing is very nice and balances the hook well. The hackle is not overdressed. That fly speaks of the good control you had of your materials.

You are pretty close to being able to tackle these full dress patterns with regular success, Cameron.

Adrian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts