Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mike, what materials are you using for the body of that Mickey Finn? Is that yellow calf tail or buck tail? I keep looking at your fly. Bet she swims nice
Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
Happy Birthday! Sounds like it was stellar.

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Administrator
17,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mike, what materials are you using for the body of that Mickey Finn? Is that yellow calf tail or buck tail? I keep looking at your fly. Bet she swims nice
Thanks
Here's the recipe:

Mickey Finn

Hook: Bartleet (#2 McNeese Blue Heron shown)
Body: Silver Embossed metal tinsel (UNI Medium)
Wing: Lemon yellow arctic fox, then red arctic fox, then lemon yellow arctic fox. Tied in sparse. Pull out under fur from base and discard.
Sides: 4-5 strands of pearl halo-flash
Collar: Finely marked Silver Pheasant (sparse)
Cheeks: JC nails

Arctic Fox is killer wing material, crazy movement. The key is to use it sparingly and discard the under fur from the base (use as dubbing). The fur lines up nicely and it compresses well when you tie it in.

Mike

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Happy birthday Mike, Sounds like a great day. I think I'm going to steal that fly of Bruce's too, killer looking fly!

·
Administrator
17,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Happy birthday Mike, Sounds like a great day. I think I'm going to steal that fly of Bruce's too, killer looking fly!
Bruce ties his with Argus secondaries.
I've tied a few with Argus center tail, or commonly known as "snow flake Argus". The one shown has Kori bustard slips.

Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's the recipe:

Mickey Finn

Hook: Bartleet (#2 McNeese Blue Heron shown)
Body: Silver Embossed metal tinsel (UNI Medium)
Wing: Lemon yellow arctic fox, then red arctic fox, then lemon yellow arctic fox. Tied in sparse. Pull out under fur from base and discard.
Sides: 4-5 strands of pearl halo-flash
Collar: Finely marked Silver Pheasant (sparse)
Cheeks: JC nails

Arctic Fox is killer wing material, crazy movement. The key is to use it sparingly and discard the under fur from the base (use as dubbing). The fur lines up nicely and it compresses well when you tie it in.

Mike
[/QUOTE

Mike, thank you for sharing this

·
Administrator
17,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Happy belated Mike, I really like that Mickey Finn........ has sort of a Picasse look to it
Thank you my friend :)
You are right, very similar style to the Picasse, with exception to the long heron hackle.
The Picasse and variations have become my "go to" for fall and winter dry line methods.

Mike

·
Administrator
17,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you Vic for the kind words :)

You are no stranger to fine flies my friend, I've bared witness to your tying, not just viewing here, but some of the exquisite flies you have sent me in the past ... we must exchange again soon my friend.
Speaking of viewing, I have not seen any flies from you in a while. Are you taking a break?? Hopefully not and you can post your work here again!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Happy belated, Mike!!
Glad you got your rod bent too!
Flies look awesome! Those will get attention from any fish, anywhere!

Thanks for all you do for this community!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mike,

I spent my birthday tossing foam things at little westslopes; I had a lot of fun, too, but your outing was definitely classier! Well done and Happy Birthday.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Thank you Vic for the kind words :)

You are no stranger to fine flies my friend, I've bared witness to your tying, not just viewing here, but some of the exquisite flies you have sent me in the past ... we must exchange again soon my friend.
Speaking of viewing, I have not seen any flies from you in a while. Are you taking a break?? Hopefully not and you can post your work here again!!

Mike
No Mike - not taking much of a break, just not having to tie salmon/steelhead flies with what I have from you and others here. So many thanks going out.
I need to get more organized with materials.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
HAHAHAHA !! Too funny Bruce :p
I have one of those 15M heads in every size to fit my Meiser rods. Like butter ... rock-star like casting, even better as a fishing tool !! Love the positive turnovers, even with 15ft poly's. However now days it's long mono leaders tapered down to 10lb and 8lb test. Even that big #2 McNeese iron was no match to turnover.

Mike
Mike: To what 15m heads are you referring (brand and model)? Sounds like what I'm looking for.

·
Administrator
17,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Mike: To what 15m heads are you referring (brand and model)? Sounds like what I'm looking for.
The Gaelforce 15M Equalizer Extended Spey Head :cool:

WARNING : THESE LINES ARE ADDICTING !! MAY CAUSE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND PERMANENT SMILING

I can't say enough about these heads. Like I said before, I have never been this excited about a short head before.
Two things you will notice right off:

1. The authority of shooting line. Like it wants to go by itself, no joking.
2. The turnover. The line completely unrolls in the air, leader and all ... and the fly lands first ... how crazy cool is that??!! And it happens all the time.

I fish mono leaders on it mostly. I have tried polys, the Airflo 14ft and 10ft. The 10ft are a piece of cake and you don't even notice them, all densities. The 14ft polys are very doable, just a slight slow down but keep it smooth. The Extra Super Fast sink (heaviest) is noticeable, but still very doable.
Like the longer brothers, this head tracks true on the cast. I have noticed with some lines and some heads from different manufacturers, the head or belly tends to curve off coarse. The Gaelforce lines don't do that at all.
The smooth casting ... I'm talking "butter smooth", is very addicting and tends to make your head swell a little.

Mike

21 - 40 of 44 Posts