Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
18,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends :)
This past Tuesday I celebrated my birthday on the river ... nothing better than feeling the currents rushing against your waders as you swing a fly through the runs, seems to wash away all the stress.
Was a successful day in my books, blessed with a few pulls and a couple screaming runs, nothing brought to hand though. The brute strength of GL's Chinook can be difficult to tame some times.

Just wanted to show my day's offerings and contribute back somehow to this community. So much great tying on this forum lately, very inspiring!!
These were all swung on a dry line and long mono leader.

Silver Shrimp (Polly Rosborough)

Introduced to me by a Salar Dawg on the east coast. Heavy wire bronzed iron 3XL with a slight bend at mid-shank allows this hairwing to swing "proper".

Mickey Finn

Always giving good fortune after a session of rain, this one tied in hand on a McNeese iron was stolen by an angry Chinook.

Cascade (Hairwing)

A simple but very effective fly for fall time salar on the east coast and for GL's fish too. A few are always in my wallet.

The Undertaker

This one tied with Arctic Fox wing, another ubber-fishy fly that inhabits my wallets. This one took the tug, but my tippet parted ways after three screaming runs. Chinook 2, Mike 0.

Kruk's Black Heron

After Bruce introduced this pattern to us, it has become a staple in my wallet. This pattern is fun to fish and fish well it does!!
Excellent movement and contrast, I can see why it produces well for Bruce ... it has slowly become one of my favorite all time patterns.
Chinook 3, Mike 0

Sparkle Butt Skunk

Another favorite of mine for early fall. No love on this day but it tracked true and swung like a champ.

Hope to have turned a few wheels :)

Mike

·
Administrator
18,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mike
happy Birthday you magnificent bastard 😎
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !! How did you know my river brothers (the Salmon Whores) call me that ??!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes my friends, means more than you know :):)

Bruce, I still can't get that 15M head off my reel ... way too much fun!!
Next time your talking to James, tell him that I think he's putt'in crack in the coating ... never been so addicted to a short head before!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Damnation, Mike! Looking at that sexy line-up is better than the perusing a September Playboy when I was 20-years old!

And to me, that Black Heron is clearly the centerfold!

Happy birthday, my friend.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,792 Posts
This is what I wanted to post earlier but it wouldn’t let me earlier but I think I figured it out 🤓
glad your enjoying that line 😎

·
Administrator
18,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHAHAHA !! Too funny Bruce :p
I have one of those 15M heads in every size to fit my Meiser rods. Like butter ... rock-star like casting, even better as a fishing tool !! Love the positive turnovers, even with 15ft poly's. However now days it's long mono leaders tapered down to 10lb and 8lb test. Even that big #2 McNeese iron was no match to turnover.

Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mike, inspirational as always. I especially like your rendition of the Mickey Finn. Next to the original Muddler Minnow, the Mickey Finn is my favourite fly for all fish swimming.
Cool fly box too brother.

·
Administrator
18,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe, the wallet is one of Bob's creations.
Originally, I designed it for Dee strip wings and long traditional speys.
I still use it as it was designed, but for early fall offerings, it works just as well.
A black bodied Mickey Finn is a Nova Scotia favorite ... steelhead here at home seem to like them as well.

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Both the birthday celebration as well as the sweet pieces of the "cake" are outstanding. Many more to come. And dare I say, maybe even better in the future. Hard to imagine how could it possibly get any better, but it is worth wishing for. May the force be with you. Happy journey.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Happy belated birthday Mike! Looks like a great trip was had, and beautiful flies were swung can’t ask for much more, fish to hand or no. Now where’s the Shepards pie picture, one of my favorite dishes, cameron

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Happy Birthday Mike.

Water clarity looks great. Will only get better here on into the fall.

Are you sure you're not confusing those pulls and salmon runs with smallies? :cool:

I need to find time to do my 1x year trip to my former home river.

Preston

·
Administrator
18,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again brothers for the kind words and well wishes :)
Preston, I haven't seen a smallie all year, doubt there is any now. Back in the day, plentiful numbers, along with walleye and pike ... nothing for a few years now.

Mike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts