Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Billy Pate Tarpon reel for use on my Sage 10151. I have not used it yet but have subsequently read that cork drag reels can free-spool when they get wet, which can often happen when deep wading. Does anyone out there use Pate reels for salmon fishing, do you get this problem and if so what can you do about it?

In addition I am contemplating obtaining a Pate Marlin for longer bellied spey lines. Does anyone have any idea how much 30lb backing you can fit on one of these with a Grandspey 9/10?

What is the general view on Pate reels?

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Friend of mine was applying a thin layer of synthetic grease Super Lube with Teflon or Syncolon –PTFE which is, I believe, fluorinated grease ( supposedly recommended by the manufacturer) to prevent hydroplaning on his Tibor reel.
This however has to be reapplied time to time.
No problem with hydroplaning when fishing form boat, but may be a problem when wading or landing a good size fish.

The perfect solution would be to use a reel with fully sealed drag.
Give a call to the manufacturer.

Good Luck
Martin

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I don't think hydroplaning is a big deal, unless you are unaware of it. Sure, a reel with an exposed disc will hydroplane if it gets wet, but if you tighten up the drag and give it a few good pulls this will correct itself, then simply reset the drag and continue fishing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
While I have not used Pate reels for river fishing I have first hand knowledge of their durability. I guide for salmon in the Queen Gharlotte Islands (in the saltwater from boats) and Billy Pate Marlins and Tarpons are the reels of choice among the regular guides. They are virtually bomb proof.

Five months of mooching (that is bait fishing with mono and 8 oz of lead), banging around in aluminum boats in the North Pacific, big fish, rain, salt,,, more salt... more rain and less than expert guests using them provides the ultimate torture test. Many reels have been tried - but few survive. The Billy Pate is the indisputable champ.

My good buddy then uses his Pates on his steelhead rods for the rest of the year... the reels definitely rock.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
The marlin holds at least 325 to 400 yards of 30# dacron,80 feet of Airflo miracle braid and a nextcast9/10 cut at 85 feet no problem.
The marlin balances great with 15 to 16 foot rods.
Most cork drags don't have problems for many years,longer if you take care of them.
My opinion is that the Billy Pate Marlin is one of the best steelhead reels out there.
Kush's opinion counts as on occasion he has been known to live the White Gravy Lifestyle:saevilw:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Billy Pate / Tibor.

Been using them since they first appeared on the market Trout and Salmon together with Tibor’s Freestone, Everglades and Riptide.

I’ve used them for saltwater fishing, wading waist deep in the salt, fishing for Sea Trout in Scandinavia. I have NEVER had a Billy Pate or Tibor fail me. Use the Graphite Lube sold by Tibor once a year and you’ll be fine.

IMO, Together with the Charlton’s there has never been produced a reel, in those sizes and price range, that can stand up to the punishment like these reel can, without any problems.

Johncke

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
but if you tighten up the drag and give it a few good pulls this will correct itself, then simply reset the drag and continue fishing.

Dana,

How to do it with 30+ lb fresh King Salmon "Experss" in full motion........:D

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts