Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reuters reports that on the 9th of Februari Edo Janus caught a 66lb steelhead from river Sava in Slovenia. The fish was 55.5" long. :Eyecrazy:
The picture can be found from Reuters pages (search: edo [in pictures]).

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Steelhead??

Are there any steelhead in that part of the world? Huchen? "A strictly freshwater Eouropean salmonid with a renge limited to the Danube River and certain of its tributaries. Huchen can reach weights of more than 60 pounds."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably hybrid (rainbow trout/steelhead + hucho) or plain hucho.

Steelhead is a rainbow trout that goes to grow in a big lake or sea and returns to spawn in the river, isn't it? At least both are Oncorhynchus mykiss.

Maybe it should read rainbow trout there but essentially it is the same species.

I don't think either that it can be pure rainbow/steelhead. Huge fish thou.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wouldn't it be a sea-run Brown Trout. I don't think there are sea-run Rainbows in Europe.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
This discussion was held one to two minths ago. The general consensus was it was a Taimen. And it was killed. :mad:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A buddy of mine emailed his friend in Slovenia who knows Janus and the place. He got the information about the fish.
It was a Hucho hucho (a close relative to the famous Hucho taimen and more endagered) and had grown a bit in the process (as all good fishing stories do). True measures were 51.2" and 54lb.

Undertaker & Sinktip, I thought I remembered that there was some big steelhead discussion a while back but didn't find it easily using the search. So I posted a new topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts