Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good reel for the Derek Brown Fav 7/8 with 200 yds backing, a 7/8 XLT, and a weight of at least a pound to balance the rod?

J

·
0 Posts
While it may be that the Harquis Marquis Salmon #2 or #3 will balance that rod, I don't think they're nearly a pound. It took more than a pound of reel weight to balance my db 10/11 and the 7/8 isn't all that much lighter in total weight. Perhaps that model is not as tip heavy as the 10/11. Since you'll also probably use an extended belly line for that rod, you'll want something with a lot of capacity along with the mass. Actually, something like a Penn #4 is what you might need, though aestheically that might not be the direction you'd want to head. Expensive reels like the Charlton 8550C with the spey spool would also work. Send me a PM for more ideas.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
4.25" Perfect with 200+ yds of 30 pound backing plus 7/8 GrandSpey = 16.5 ounces

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Since no one has mentioned them yet I will,

Islander makes a model called FR. I put the no. 3 on my DB Fave 9/10. IMO it balances fine and with gold anodizing looks great! Better yet it can withstand the test of tyee :)

Cheers N I

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Also depending on the size of the reels you currently have you can wrap the arbor before you put on the backing with lead core line. I know a few guys who do this and it seems to work for them.

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Billy Pate Tarpon, direct drive. You should be able score one on Ebay for around $250.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
spare!?

didn't know there was such a thing as a `spare' cascapedia,aren't they rarely availlable used and the reproductions;# only 500 :confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pacific???

What about Tibor Pacific QC on 15/16" rod? I've been waiting for BP Tarpon...But it appeared a ... little bit smaller than announced in catalogue. Luck was Gulfstream and Pacific have come too...

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Alex,

the Billy Pate Marlin is the way to go for big rods and big lines. The Tarpon is quite a bit smaller.

I have a direct drive Marlin. It is a bit bigger than my 4-1/4 Perfect and not quite as heavy, but heavy enough.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I have two Penn International #4 fly reels, rather heavy and discontinued, you should be able to locate one used. They balance my 16ft and 15ft rods very well.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If money is an object (I've actually heard that not all of us spey anglers are Alternative Minimum Tax bracket-rich), consider a trolling or mooching reel. They're essentially fly reels, but with huge capacity and a foot that may not fit all spey rods. I use one to better balance my two-pound greenheart. Some of the newer models, by Daiwa and others, are rather attractive, and sell for roughly $50 on eBay.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I designed a much less expensive yet elegant solution for my set of DBF rods. I purchased the Lamson LiteSpeed 4 which is large enough to handle 235 yards of micron backing and the full original 10/11 XLT line. Then had a set of brass weights made from 4 to 12 ounces which can be mounted and dismounted from the Litespeed without tools or damage to the reel. Here is a picture of 4 and 5 ounce weights mounted and dismounted from the litespeed. <http://www.beaucatcher.com/photos/Reel_Bushing_Wt_2.jpg>

Regards,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh, those reels!

Dana, but that Marlin- will it be able to "eat" Grand Spey,or XLT Competition or any of these fat and long belly lines with enough backing?
But Pacific... It realy looks like man's toy on 16-ers!Where's that 60 pounds Salmon? Pacific goes to Kola...

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Dana, but that Marlin- will it be able to "eat" Grand Spey,or XLT Competition or any of these fat and long belly lines with enough backing?
But Pacific... It realy looks like man's toy on 16-ers!Where's that 60 pounds Salmon? Pacific goes to Kola...
Should be ok--I have @ 300 yards of 30# Dacron and a full XLT #11 on it with a bit of room to spare.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I designed a much less expensive yet elegant solution for my set of DBF rods. I purchased the Lamson LiteSpeed 4 which is large enough to handle 235 yards of micron backing and the full original 10/11 XLT line. Then had a set of brass weights made from 4 to 12 ounces which can be mounted and dismounted from the Litespeed without tools or damage to the reel. Here is a picture of 4 and 5 ounce weights mounted and dismounted from the litespeed. <http://www.beaucatcher.com/photos/Reel_Bushing_Wt_2.jpg>

Regards,
Now that is neat - and very necessary with DBFs!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts