Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at attaching some Big Boy tips to a Midspey and a Grandspey. Up to this point I have only used the tips that came with them (interchangable system). Can the Big Boy be attached in it's entirety or does it need to be cut back. I have read mentions of these tips being heavy enough to break rods.

Gillie

·
Registered
254 Posts
If I have really fast moving winter conditions that require me to go deep, I take out tip II and tip I. I then put on a big boy that matches weight or even 100 to 200 grains higher. It becomes a bazooka. If you want a tip that will sink more than the tips that come with a WC or Mid Spey, I'd try 12 to 14 feet of T-14 instead of cutting up a big boy.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Do the same thing here on the Rogue for winter fishing.

mattzoid said:
If I have really fast moving winter conditions that require me to go deep, I take out tip II and tip I. I then put on a big boy that matches weight or even 100 to 200 grains higher. It becomes a bazooka. If you want a tip that will sink more than the tips that come with a WC or Mid Spey, I'd try 12 to 14 feet of T-14 instead of cutting up a big boy.

Mattzoid's pretty well covered it when he refers to the combo as being a 'bazooka.' Only 'distingtion' I make is with the 9wt 14' Sage I'lll use a 10-11-12 cut back WC (same effect as removing tips 1 and 2) or a 1-12-13 cut back WC on the 15' Sage. The extra 12'' in the rod(s) makes a heck of a difference on how heavy a BB you can cast with ease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts