Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently became the proud owner of a Beulah 7/8 switch rod, my first switch rod. Anyone have any coments, line sugestions etc etc.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lines for yourt Beulah 7/8

Fun all around rod, great in a float tube too. I use mine for small stripers/shad/summer steelies/smallies & big trout.

The Beulah long belly "river extra" is an excellent choice to start with (51 ft head). I think they call it a 7/8 line now, but the AFTM single hand rating is about 11 wt. Great greased line, damn supple. You can also cut that line back about 6 feet and loop on 15ft 7wt tips or T-8 giving you approx. 60 ft head (51 - 6 + 15). Turning over longer than 10 ft of T-14 is a bit more work (For that get the 8/9 for high water/heavy current).

Depending on how you will use the rod I would also recommend an Outbound 425 or 465 depending on your loading preference(go lighter with Int/sink lines). I also dig the Rio Intermediate Striper line that glows in the dark, the 11 wt works quite well overhead, even though it is a bit lighter than the OB lines above. I have found that full floating lines tend to need an extra few grains to make up for their bulk/wind resistance. Grain for grain, Intermediates and sinkers tend to load the rod a little easier for me. I am hoping to try one of Rio's new Tarpon lines in the camo color for the local striped bass when it gets hot again. Best of luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Randy, did you get a line from Courtney or are you still waiting like me? The Hardy Mach 1 Trout in an 8 weight cast quite nicely overhead, I used a Greys Platinum Sink Tip (7wt) on the 5/6 I had up in the Chilcotin and it worked well with the line, as well i had a Beulah floating line that was matched up to the rod. Would love to get the 7/8 line but orders see to take forever to get here. I'm assuming that you will be using it off the beach next month? looks like there will be a few of us with switch rods this year

Colin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colin, yes I do have a Beulah 7/8 line, and a SA running line with a sinking head, intermediate head, and a floating head, just short on reels at the moment. Just not overly impressed with the SA line yet and was looking for more input. The beach should be a blast this year, Rick from Duncan has a 5/6 on the way as well. I am thinking the Stamp coho should match to this rod nicely.

Randy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts