Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a second hand Beulah surf 9/10 to get out on the beach for Seabass in the Netherlands. The recommandation for this rod OH is a RIO outbound 12.
I have a RIO AFS 8/9 outbound doublehanded line that weights 520 grain.
If I look on the www the tapering of the belly and the weight is close to a single hand outbound 12.

The rod has not arrived yet but what do the doublehanded surf fishermen think, will this AFS match the rod?

Greetz Ochi
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
894 Posts
Have you looked into the Beulah Serum lines? They are made to match that rod and comes with 100 grn tips to match

sent from the North Pole
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Congratulations on the 9/10 surf rod. I have one and like it a lot. Beulah make some great rods, and I think this one is very smartly designed for its intended purpose.

I haven't used the 520 grain AFS Rio line you have, but I think the grain weight is in the right ballpark to begin with.

I use an Airflo 11/12 two-handed beach line on mine. It weighs 530 grains. It works well, but I do wonder if a lighter line might be a bit nicer. I'll probably stick with it for a while yet though. I really like the older Airflo beach/cold saltwater lines. Unfortunately they are discontinued but they can be had if you look around on the internet. Coincidentally, I bought the line second hand off of Coastrider (Ed in the above post). Thanks Ed!

If I were to try another line it would be the Serum made for this rod. Simple.

Good luck.

Tom
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
894 Posts
Glad to see its working for you Tom, I've gone another route including a different rod than I had that line set to use on.

sent from the North Pole
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
AFS as most Scandi Lines!

Don't have the power through the diminishing front taper to turn over decently to large sized flies at any distance.

If the wind is cranked up the Scandi tapers initially take off decently and get over powered like Barkley rejecting a shot.

Outbound lines are good tapers and do the job. I think you can't go wrong with a matched Serum. We fished and tweaked that taper for years on the East Coast chasing stripers and in Baja.

We recently released a $120.00 pack that offers the head, Floating, Int and a Sink Tip that comes neatly packaged in a Cordura Beulah wallet.

BB~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
AFS as most Scandi Lines!

Don't have the power through the diminishing front taper to turn over decently to large sized flies at any distance.


BB~
If your our Serum has 10ft/100gr tip it does not have much more fly turning authority :tsk_tsk:

If fish are not "leader shy" just use shorter leader with AFS and other Scandi heads and you can cast rather big fly. However sometimes you need to brake running line in the end of long cast to make line turn over better.

Esa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Here in Europe it is still possible to find Guideline PT Original shooting heads. They have about 10 ft front tapers which are also quite thick which makes then very nice for SW overhead casting. Also welding head to polyurethane shooting line (Airflo or Guideline) is very easy if you don't like loop to loop connection.

Esa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the reactions and information!

The AFS is a Outbound type and when I look to the drawing of this belly it looks almost similar to a normal Outbound.
I will try the line when the rod comes and if it's not working I can use the other suggestion of the guideline lines, I got loads of them.

If that is not working or it is no good match I have to look how I can buy the Beulah line because in Europe there are not much Beulah dealers. I love the idea of the pack with tips because that is covering all type of density's

I will keep you all informed if I tried the rod and lines.

Greetz Ochi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
AFS Outbound WF line head has same taper as AFS shooting head. Outbound and Outbound Short head taper is not what the profile picture presents. OB has about five feet front taper, then almost 30 ft of level line and then about 4 ft rear taper and then level running line.

Floating and Intermediate AFS head have almost 66% of total weight in the rear half which makes them very easy for Spey casting. Sinking AFS do not have as drastic taper. OB and OBS have about 48% of head weight in the front and 52% weight in the rear which makes them very powerful for overhead casting but not "smooth" and delicate with small flies.

Esa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
You can pot AFS and other Scandi shooting heads backwards to shooting line for overhead casting so that the thick rear is towards the fly. Then it straightens powerfully even to very strong head wind but does not fly far because mass in front makes line loop unfurl fast and when line loop has straightened line does not fly much anymore. Heavy line end cause also line loop overshooting which makes casting "clunky" so it benefits of big wind resistant fly use which calms down line behavior.

Esa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Outbound

Here in Hawaii, with the same rod,I use RIO Tropical Outbound short 12 wt. You can really boom it out there. Also tried RIO 12 wt. Tarpon line with success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rod has arrived.

First impression: Rocket launcher:Eyecrazy:

I hope I have the time this weekend to try it out.
I've got, as the most of you, many rods but this one feels really different.

I don't know if it's the same saying in the English language but this rod feels like trowing big flies with "2 fingers in the nose":hihi:
Now I have to show the practice with my words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Tip Diameter!

Bender...

I don't think you understand the diameter. These were designed for wind and big flies.

Airflo Intermediate 10' Poly leaders I think are in the 38 grain range. The tip diameter on the Serum Clear Int. tip I believe is .045-.048. Serum tips are nothing like Poly Leader tips at .019 to finish off Scandi lines or Scandi heads themselves that finish in the .038-.042 diameter

The Serum Lines have massive tip diameter from .058-.062 and large back end and tip diameter so they punish wind instead of getting beat down by wind.

Are you guys talking about AFS and Outbound lines being the same line taper viewing a taper profile or actual lines in hand? The AFS as I knew was a fairly long Scandi-ish taper and the Outbound, Outbound Short and Outbound Tropical are a much more aggressive shorter shooting head? I think the Original Outbound taper is still made (just for coldwater at #7') There is still Outbound Short, Outbound Short Tropical (right at 30').

BB~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Bender...

I don't think you understand the diameter. These were designed for wind and big flies.

Airflo Intermediate 10' Poly leaders I think are in the 38 grain range. The tip diameter on the Serum Clear Int. tip I believe is .045-.048. Serum tips are nothing like Poly Leader tips at .019 to finish off Scandi lines or Scandi heads themselves that finish in the .038-.042 diameter

The Serum Lines have massive tip diameter from .058-.062 and large back end and tip diameter so they punish wind instead of getting beat down by wind.

Are you guys talking about AFS and Outbound lines being the same line taper viewing a taper profile or actual lines in hand? The AFS as I knew was a fairly long Scandi-ish taper and the Outbound, Outbound Short and Outbound Tropical are a much more aggressive shorter shooting head? I think the Original Outbound taper is still made (just for coldwater at #7') There is still Outbound Short, Outbound Short Tropical (right at 30').

BB~
I understand the effect of diameter and more of it is counter productive because it increase wind resistance and also makes line slightly stiffer.

Fly line mass improves performance in wind and also higher sink rate.

There was a WF line called Rio AFS Outbound which profile was the same as AFS shooting head in data sheet.

It is possible to weight sections of line without cutting it to pieces quite accurately with little practice. My AFS 10/11 is 40,3 ft / 590 gr.

5 ft of tip came 35 gr, 10 ft 82 gr and 15 ft 133 gr. So from 5 ft to 15 ft it is 98 gr and when first 5 ft is heavier than the (common nylon/fluoro) leader butt we don't have to shorten (middle) leader much to make AFS as decent windy day fly line as most other. Also AFS taper casts very beautiful line loops. I have fished them a lot in SW. Mostly Spey casting but occasional overhead casts too when fly is too big for water anchor.

I have at least six Outbound lines and their taper is not what the profile picture impress. There is about five feet front taper, then level line and then about four feet rear taper. When front and rear halves are weighted front has about 48% head mass and rear the rest 52% so they are slightly towards the Spey taper.

Best OutBound taper I have in my lines is Airflo Cold Saltwater 40+ Sniper WF9I clear blue/pale yellow which has 33 ft/405 gr head and its profile is very close to what you can see in Rio Outbound fly line box :chuckle:

Front half contains 55% of head weight and rear the rest 45% so it is good with big flies and straighten powerfully to head wind but its not good for long distance because of taper and short head. Also ridged running line is quite thick=heavy (1,1 mm) which reduce distance when shooting but it does not tangle much either.

Esa
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top