Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 8wt Platinum switch rod a few years and only played with it once. I bought it with the intention of winter steelhead fishing when fishing in close or conditions are a little tight for my BIIX 7136. Anyway, I want to put this rod to use and want to line it to get the most out of it.

Beulah's recommended grain window is 400-425. If I recall correctly I tried a Airflow Skagit 420 grain with some T-10 the one time that I fished it. I'm thinking about getting a RIO Switch Chucker or other switch line. For the Chucker line RIO is recommending 7 or 8 wt (465 or 520 gr.) and that seems too heavy, especially when you consider that it will still need a sink tip.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the Beulah Classic 7/8 switch and I use the airflo 480 or 510 skagit switch line. Both lines are perfect for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josie,
These are different animals with the classic series feeling much slower IMO. Do you know what weight Beulah recommends for classic.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have the Platinum 8 wt, and have tried an Airflo 420 and an Elixir 375. I much prefer the 375 gr, I have not tried a skagit line as I fish Atlantics, and seldom go deep. I agree that Rio's weights are much too heavy, I am waiting for Beulah to bring their new intergrated switch lines to market as I much prefer intergrated lines. Beulah states that their switch rods are designed for heads at 2.5X rod length.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the 8 wt 520 gr Rio Chucker. Crossed referenced the grains to other 8 wt lines on the Beulah site. Also saw a post on another forum with folks using using the same line for this rod. They had the same comments that it seemed way to heavy but after trying it they were very impressed.

Hope it works. If not you might see it in the classified section in a few weeks. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple more notes while on the subject of lines for the Beulah Platinum Switch series. You mentioned the Elixer. I use the Elixer 325 grain on my 6 wt Platinum switch and I also like that line.

I'm playing around with some Outbound Custom T-11 & T-14 lines for overhead casting the 6 wt on the beach. The T-14 cut at 25' is 350 gr and it cast pretty good for what it is. It was already cut at 25' length for a 9' 8wt used to fish still water Stripper's down deep and I thought it cast much better on the switch rod. Of course I was standing rather than sitting in a kayak and that probably helped too.

The T-14 is a bit heavy for the beach application. Haven't tried the T-11 Custom yet but I'm thinking about cutting around 32' to keep it around 350 grain as well. Will start a little longer and trim it down. I was shooting 30' of borrowed T-11 a few weeks ago. It was OK but maybe a little light.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lsteinb,
Yes, Thanks. I saw that. It was just a little hard to believe that Rios's recommended weights are so,far off from th e manufacturers'.

Dave

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the 8 wt 520 gr Rio Chucker. Crossed referenced the grains to other 8 wt lines on the Beulah site. Also saw a post on another forum with folks using using the same line for this rod. They had the same comments that it seemed way to heavy but after trying it they were very impressed.

Hope it works. If not you might see it in the classified section in a few weeks. :)
Please let us know what you think of it relative to the weight.

·
Registered
730 Posts
line

Dave,
A line that I like a lot is the Wulff Ambush. I have three for my SH rods.
Understand that SA is now coming out with a similar rod.
Best,
lsteinb

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got the platinum 8 wt as well. I like it with a 425gr or even 450gr skagit switch for throwing T-8 or T-11 tips. I also found it works well with a 420 Rage Compact for floating presentations or poly leaders.

Haven't tried any Scandi type lines on it yet...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just
Yes i agree that the classic and the platinum are very different. Beulah recommends their skagit tonic 425 for the classic 7/8. I admit I was confused when looking to line the rod as there was such wide range of line recommendations by all of the manufacturers. I eventually went with the Airflo skagit switch only after looking at their line chart. I initially purchased the 510 grain thinking wow this will be way too heavy. However the classic easily handled the 510. I then picked up the airflo skagit switch 480 grain. I like the way these lines perform for my casting stroke. Hope this helps

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave,
A line that I like a lot is the Wulff Ambush. I have three for my SH rods.
Understand that SA is now coming out with a similar rod.
Best,
lsteinb
I have a 10 wt Ambush head that I really like as well. Just didn't want to deal with the loops. If the chucker doesn't work out that will be a good back up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Line Choices?

Off the get go I just wanted to write Tonic Switch (Switch length= shorter of the two versions @ 22 1/2').

Once I read that you are thinking Switch Chucker...that makes me want to ask if you plan on nymphing or swinging or trying to buy a line that does both well?

The Rio Switch Chucker has good ability as a line for spey casting that is pretty damn good at fishing nymphs and looking in an upstream direction.

If you wanted dedicated lines that are designed to perform specific tasks...I would get a Tonic Switch 450 for your Skagit and an S.A. Mastery Steelhead Taper 10 weight specific to nymphing.

BB~

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had to think about that, can't say that I've ever tried nymping for steelhead. So I primarily swing for steel but, I suppose nymping isn't out of the question. I tend to get distracted with too many choices sometimes so I'll probably just work with the Chucker for now. I appreciate the advise. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts