Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Any one own and fish a Beulah Platinum Switch 10'8" 7 wt, and have some line recommendations? Thanks, DryflyBum

·
ErieSkagit
37 Posts
Hi All - Any one own and fish a Beulah Platinum Switch 10'8" 7 wt, and have some line recommendations? Thanks, DryflyBum
Hey Dryfly,

I've fished this rod for a year or so now. I've had a 425 Rio Skagit max on there which has worked out well, but found it was getting a bit mushy when i threw on some heavier sink tips. I've gone down to the 400g skagit max short and like it, although I've only cast it for a day w the newer line on. The new Burkie 7117 has been my go to rod now, so the Beulah doesn't come out to play much anymore.

I'd say 400-430 grains should be a good window for a skagit head. I'd lean toward the heavier end if wind is a regular factor in your fishing location. Haven't thrown any other types of line on this rod other than skagit, so I can't speak to any other line recommendations.

Hope this helps. It's a sweet little stick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For what it's worth I'm with ErieSkagit. I've been running a 425 grain Rio Skagit Short with T8 and T14 tips to about 10' and I'm happy with the combo. Can't help with a scandi recommendation, I'm afraid.
kym

·
Registered
546 Posts
Short!

For our 10'8" 7 weight I would stay with our Switch (Switch=Short) rather than our Spey (Spey=Long) versions of Scandinavian and Skagit lines.

Elixir (Scandi) Switch 350 is right on the money.

Tonic (Skagit) Switch 400 is right on the money.

I think I read in a previous post about the rod feeling mushy when it gets overlined. There is truth in that statement. Unless you have a refined slow controlled stroke with good timing on power application, stay a bit lighter especially with the Skagit to retain a nice crisp feel to the rod.

Keep in mind...some ask too much of their Switch rods basically asking them to do the work of a stout spey 7 weight with heavy/long sink tips and big nasties for flies.

Maybe keep the sink tips for Switch rods between 6-12' and between 80-110 grains or so.

For example: 6' of T14 would equal 84 grains, 12' of T8 would equal 96 grains and 10 of T11 would equal 110 grains. All are good fishable tips for different water conditions and will be tips that you know should cast and fish well with the properly matched line. The other tip that is great on those rods are the MOW Medium 7.5 x2.5.

BB~

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for taking the time to give line and tip info. I'll check out these recommendations, and I'll heed Bruce's advice about expectations for switch rods. Bruce, I do love the lightness and crispness of the Platinum rods - have a 132-7 also. Thanks again - DryflyBum

For our 10'8" 7 weight I would stay with our Switch (Switch=Short) rather than our Spey (Spey=Long) versions of Scandinavian and Skagit lines.

Elixir (Scandi) Switch 350 is right on the money.

Tonic (Skagit) Switch 400 is right on the money.

I think I read in a previous post about the rod feeling mushy when it gets overlined. There is truth in that statement. Unless you have a refined slow controlled stroke with good timing on power application, stay a bit lighter especially with the Skagit to retain a nice crisp feel to the rod.

Keep in mind...some ask too much of their Switch rods basically asking them to do the work of a stout spey 7 weight with heavy/long sink tips and big nasties for flies.

Maybe keep the sink tips for Switch rods between 6-12' and between 80-110 grains or so.

For example: 6' of T14 would equal 84 grains, 12' of T8 would equal 96 grains and 10 of T11 would equal 110 grains. All are good fishable tips for different water conditions and will be tips that you know should cast and fish well with the properly matched line. The other tip that is great on those rods are the MOW Medium 7.5 x2.5.

BB~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts