Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,940 Posts
The opinions are all over this board so use the search function and most likely your questions will be answered. There is a G2 6128 for sale right now for a really nice price but by now it is most likely gone. When it comes to the Platinum, Onyx, or G2 just pick one up if you are curious as Im sure you can re sell it and get your money back quickly if you don't like it. The general opinion of Beulah rods and lines is very positive.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, Beulah, and OPST two handers; Scott & Orvis single handers. Danielsson and Orvis Reels
1,136 Posts
I have the rod in question and I haven't fished it yet, other than casting in my bass pond. I can tell you it is very light in hand, loves a Gaelforce 6/7 ESS 380 grain Scandi head. I've put the Elixir and Tonic recommended on it and it likes those lines as well, I have the 425 grain Tonic for sale in the classifieds. Frankly it is a bit of an in-between rod for me. I have the G2 7132 that I really love and it will likely overshadow the 6 weight. If you are interested in buying mine, let's take this conversation to the PM level to continue.

·
newcomer to spey casting
489 Posts
I have the rod and love it with both Scandi and Skagit lines. I fish Scandi type lines in the 390 gr to 425 gr range on that rod. The rod is light, powerful and well made. It serves me very well on larger Great Lakes steelhead tributaries and also for casting larger smallmouth flies than my 4 wt trout Spey can handle. I'm very happy with this rod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up a new to me G2 in 13'2" 7wt this summer. Used it for the first time last month in Upstate NY and when I got the casting stroke down, the rod felt light yet powerful. I'm new to DH style of fishing, but this sure feels like a keeper. Can't wait to get back up there and do it again this winter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
G2 Platinum 12'8" 6 weight is one of my personal favorites. Elixir (Scandi) Spey 400 grain + hand tied leader -or- Airflo 14' Floating Poly Leader & tippet is money. Elixir (Scandi) Switch...slightly shorter @ 29' is really nice as well...some prefer as it is easy in tight casting quarters and you really don't lose distance going shorter. If you are really adept caster you might go down to 375 but that was a better match on our original Platinum 6 weight. Tonic (Skagit) Spey 450 is right on the money. You could go 425 if you have easy to cast flies and moderate tips. I really like our Tonic (Skagit) short 450 or 425. Literally, either one does not matter. The 425 short might have a slightly more crisp feeling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rule #1, if you end up getting this rod, do report back your initial thoughts on it. Or on any rod you end up with. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new 7wt and the G2 is a front runner at the moment. I have the original Platinum in the 6126 and it's such a smooth and forgiving rod, literally to date the only thing I've casted more forgiving is my Loomis short spey 51111..

Jer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts