Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research on the Beulah Platinum 7132 and the Onyx 7129 for my next rod purchase.

I'm wondering how these two compare to each other? Things like the action, weight, feel, use of skagit and scandi, line speed, and so on. I've seen a fair amount of posts here about the 7132 but not that many on the Onyx, though I realize the Onyx is pretty new to the market.

My intended use is geared towards a general steelhead rod that can handle PNW steelhead in both summer and winter. So I was hoping for something fun with smaller steelhead, but could also handle something in 10-20lb range if I got lucky. I am a bit biased to skagit casting and will probably do this the most, but also do scandi as well.

Currently I have the Platinum 6wt switch and LOVE this rod, my absolute favorite. If either rods in question are even close to how the 6wt switch behaves then end of story. Otherwise I have the Platinum 5wt spey which I have a tough time with on skagit work, but throws a scandi nicely. And lastly a TCX 7126.... I'm not sure how I feel about this rod. Yeah it can chuck a dead chicken, but it FEELS a bit heavy to me and my timing isn't always fine tuned for this rod.

So that's a summary on the situation. Would appreciate thoughts on the two rods I'm looking at and if any comparison to the rods I currently have. I unfortunately do not have access to a shop that carries them otherwise I would go in and check them out in person and/or try to cast a demo.

Thanks - Bob

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can't speak to the Onyx as I've just wiggled it. However, the 7132 was the third Platinum spey I bought - I promptly sold the TCX. I hooked it up with a Flight 525 in the winter and a 480 Rio Steelhead Scandi or Rage 480 - great is all I can say. I may try a 510 scandi this summer just for grins. I love the rod, and the 6126 for low water and/or skating. Unless the Onyx really rings your bell (and maybe it will), I'd say save the money and go with the Platinum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own many platinum speys and have casted a few in the onyx lineup.
My impression is both are super light and crisp with regressed action. They filled some gaps with lengths of the onyx and dialed in the lower end with a bit more power, keeping the regressed feel I like. Tip seemed strong and possibly had a bit more recovery speed with very good accuracy, probably from the nano tech and new materials. Both great series of rods. Since u tend to use Skagit lines and shorter rods, maybe the onyx would be the best fit. But couldn't go wrong with the platinum 7 as that is also a joy to cast ...my fav is the elixer 2 450 on that one. You should also consider if you are fishing bigger water with room to cast or tight quarters.

Good choices to be pondering. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for this valuable feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Great description of the Onyx by the way. It gives me some idea of what it is like.

MaeWest and flogerman - do you happen to have the 5wt platinum spey? If so is it the same casting experience as the 7wt in terms of feel and action? Just trying to get a sense if the feeling of the 5wt platinum translates to the 7wt.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can't Go Wrong

I have had several Beulah's to include the 6 weight switch and the 7 weight platinum spey. The 7 weight platinum is a perfect all around PNW rod. I fished it mostly for winter fish and a 510 Skagit Switch pitched anything I wanted to toss. The rod is super light in hand and fishd great.

I reluctantly sold both rods with plans to purchase a new 7 weight Onyx. I cast it on a trip and I immediately fell in love with it. I could tell in 5 minutes I prefered it over the Platinum. Quick recovery and crazy dampening. Even when I used an overpowered upper hand the line still shot straight and long. I ended up buying a different rod but will likely own one in the future. They look great as well.

If the extra cost of the Onyx makes you dizzy, the Platinum 7 rocks. BUT if you can afford it, that Onyx is amazing and you will never sell it.

DH

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drifter - Thanks for that! I noticed that for only 150 more or so I can step up to the Onyx. I figure if I go the new-rod route and the Onyx is great then why not. I might as well. Also what rod did you end up going with?

This feedback has been great everyone. Keep it coming! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Meiser

I ended up buying a Meiser mostly because I wanted to have the experience of having a custom rod built where I gave the color and design of the grip. See my post a few down the list.

For the $150 extra I'd be all over the Onyx. I love my Meiser for many reasons, but I could cheat with the Onyx. I have heard the 6 weight Onyx is just a beast for a lighter summer rod. Beulah has been a solid company for me.

DH

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW!!! Talk about service! Sounds like you had a fun time getting your new Meiser. Thanks for sharing the adventure with us! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bob, I do have the 5 wt spey and I like it with a 300 scandi. 325 skagit ok, 350 skagit too heavy and bogs the light rod. Tough to compare the 7 wt but I will say that it seems to be more versatile and handle skagit fine. More grain range to work with. Prefer the Rio skagit max 500. 475 intermediate is good too. 5 and 7 have similar tapers but the length and power of the 7 offer more feedback to the caster and doesn't need to be finessed as much...it's a 7 wt after all, but a light one.
The 7 platinum won't have as much power as the strong butt of the tcx for turning huge fish. But should feel lighter, and the onyx even more so cuz it's a bit shorter and less swing weight.
I will agree with the others comment about improved dampening of the onyx.
The 7129 onyx will probably be closer to a lighter version of the 8wt platinum spey. Perhaps a bit faster action than the 7132, with strong tip. Not as whippy as the 5wt. If that's what you are worried about.
Meiser is nice and powerful, but I keep coming back to the effortless sweet casting of the Beulahs.
If you can afford the onyx, go for it! That would be my choice ;-)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Since this rod was introduced it has become a serious go to rod for many Steelheaders..here on the west coast I use this rod when drifting remote rivers ..it has tons of power and is especially light in hand...exacting casting ability and if fishing in Ontario or mid state rivers is perfect for Scandi ,Mid Belly or Skagit ...not bad
C

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thanks for the technical info JGS...in your hands lined up this rod,the 7129 Oynx is much more crisp than the 7132,recovery and line speed exacting,also very tip savy.
Overloading the rod isn't such a good idea..the rod does not respond well to extreme deep loading . If you have a fairly good compact stroke then you will be in heaven when fishing this rod. Try the new Beulah Aero head on this and see how easy small and dry fly fishing for Steelhead ,Atlantic Salmon,Big Trout and even Pacific Salmon will be.
Personally I drift a lot of Rivers and like the idea of the shorter rod,like so many PNW situations the short efficient rods answer the call very well when needed..and this 7 weight rod keeps you in the game

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So just an update. I got the Onyx and boy am I glad I did... That thing is a canon and the loops were so nice and tight!!! Not to mention the reserve power this stick has....

Thanks to all for your wonderful insight and comparison of the rods in question to rods I've had experience with... Now I just gotta get some mojo on this thing!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Which rod did you end up buying? How is it after some time on the water?

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
546 Posts
Interesting Read!

I saw a lot of savvy comments about the behavior of a few of our rods and would not disagree with any of it.

Onyx 12'9" 7: just for grins I put our 475 Tonic Switch on it and took it for a test drive last winter. Turns out that is my everyday line for that rod now. I generally don't use heavy tips...11' of T11 and medium-large flies that are easy to cast. I think most guys will settle on a Tonic 500 Spey or 510 if they are going Airflo.

Platinum 13'2" 7: I kind of thought that rods don't get much easier than Platinum 7 spey where "less is more" and you just kind of point it in the direction of the "D" or point in the direction of the cast and let the rod do the rest. Along those lines, I thought the overwhelming response would be Platinum 7 for the easier casting Skagit rod. Nice to standby on the sidelines and watch the thread unfold w/o input from my end.

Interestingly: I find the Onyx much better with our Aero 510 and the Platinum feels better in my hands with the 450. 510 is O.K. but if you find yourself in a deeper wade with a swirly wind...you gotta be spot on to make it work consistently with the Platinum. I actually think the 480 would be the best Aero for the Platinum and we don't make it...time to get busy. I would not mind a 410 or 420 grain Aero either that would match up to our 12'4" 5 weight!

BB

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Which rod did you end up buying? How is it after some time on the water?
Hey Phil, I ended up going with the 12'9" 7 wt. For reference on my last few trips I was using a 480 gr Skagit Switch with 10' of t11 or t14. The rod hurls this stuff effortlessly btw. The earlier trip I was using using a Rage 420gr head with 10'polyleaders. Also very nice casting and is hands down my favorite rod out of all the rods I own. It's a great rod in how it feels in the cast and throughout the swing. It has lots of power but feel that the soul is there.

Bruce - thanks for the input. I haven't tried any kinda of line longer than a scandi on the rod But have heard lots of good things about the Aero. Will have to give it an try at some point. I know these may be different beasts, but would you say the same concerning your comment about skagit casting ease with the plat/onyx in the 6wt category?

Thanks! - Bob

·
Registered
546 Posts
Onyx 6 weight!

WstCstBob,

I don't think there is an easier casting 6 weight on the market than our 13'1" Onyx. There is a trick though, this rod is a departure in flex from the rest of the Onyx rods. Very full flex/fast recovery and is not for the heavy handed wood chopper. If you have a nice relaxed casting stroke it is sweet!

To answer your question very easy casting rod with a Skagit.

BB~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts