Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now is the time for me to buy a line. Which one do you suggest? I fish especially atlantic salmon and launches an average of flies sizes 2-8.

Thanks in advance.

G

·
That's, by far, my favorite spey rod. I use an Elixir 450gr head with a Monic (usually) running line and the Airflo 14' polyleaders.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For utility sake, I love the Rio scandi versitip. The reason is because can change the parts of the line body and tips out and really get down to where the fish are if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
For me I liked a scandi in the 450 range (Elixir's are great lines and don't get the love they deserve) 480 Rage and skagit not much heavier than 500. Delta II 7/8 was OK as well but I think a Vector 78 might be better.

CT

·
Registered
57 Posts
Probably my favorite rod. I like the 435 rio steelhead scandi for dries and lighter tips and flies and a 525 skagit for heavier tips and intruders. --John

·
Registered
579 Posts
Great rod

This is my favorite rod, bought it from another member here. I haven't had a chance to fish Scandi on mine yet, I have the 37' rio Scandi 460 Which I didn't realize was 3 feet longer than the 450. I fished a new 510 tonic with tips on mine Felt perfect

G

·
Another vote for the 510 Tonic. I didn't mention Skagit heads and the like in my first post because the OP mentioned Atlantic salmon. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's too many AS fishermen using Skagits. Almost all use either full lines like a mid-belly or long belly or more likely a Scandi head.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I didn't have NC lines when I owned the rod but the Delta 6/7 is a nice match. A 45 5/6 would my choice for a NC line on this one.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mae,

I briefly used a Delta II 7/8 on my 7132. It worked pretty well with no problem making normal fishing casts but didn't quite have a lot of pizzazz. In general that is my feeling about Deltas, nice workman like lines that do their job and can carry a load, kind of like a good old truck. However, I personally like a crisper feeling and the Vectors have consistently provided that for me when compared the the like Delta.

If I had it to do over again I would probably try a Vector 7/8 on the 7132. Should throw lasers. I generally cut my Vectors (and Deltas for that matter) for tips and run lengths of Z7 or T7/T8 a foot or two shorter than the floating tip. Works just fine and really adds versatility.

The 7132 is a really good stick and should work wonders for you when you find the right line(s). Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

CT

·
Registered
175 Posts
CT, thank you very much. I've been using a Rio Flight 525 this winter and have had a little work with a Rio Steelhead Scandi 480 - both worked very well, I thought. However, I'm thinking about going to a mid-belly for this summer just for grins and experience, and also to lessen the amount of stripping I'm doing (albeit not by a whole lot, granted). I had the fortune of trying a Beulah Aero on a friend's rod, but I just couldn't see that red line well enough in the twilight, so I'm looking in another direction. Are you cutting the Vector at 10', 12', or ?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Per Steve Godshalls (SPG) recommendation I am cutting them at 0.060". On my Vector 8/9 that was at 15.5' and came out to 95 gr. Not sure where that would be on a 7/8. I just got a 6/7 but haven't taken it off the spool yet. I would speculate that anywhere in the 13'-15' range would work just fine. You could use Poly's, standard tips, or just level T. I've been using T or Z for all my tip work and it casts just fine............and much cheaper than tips. If it's of any interest Tim Rajeff pointed me in the direction of straight T. More and more I'm using SPG's level Z material. Really nice, supple material that welds well if you want to do that....my preference is to use the orange Rio braided loops (the tiny ones) on my T/Z tips as it makes it really easy to see the line-tip junction.

Used the Vector 8/9 yesterday with 14' of Z7 and a light tube fly in the wind. Actually, when I had my game together it worked very well. Could throw some nice, tight loops into the wind and still have it lay out straight. That particular rod (Sage VT2 8139) also works very well with a delta 8/9 but not as crisp. Oh, almost forgot, the running line on a Vector shoots a bunch better than the Delta runner. I think the Vector running line is the same as SPG's ELF which, in my opinion, is far and away the best coated running line available.

For what it's worth, I like to use braided loops rather than welded on the cut line. Te each their own.

CT

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Now is the time for me to buy a line. Which one do you suggest? I fish especially atlantic salmon and launches an average of flies sizes 2-8.

Thanks in advance.
We will have that rod at the Sherbrooke Spey Forum in early May and as many tell you it is one of the nicest small two handers made period. Typically I use an original 540 Elixir Spey line for all the demo work simply because it is as good as it gets.. recently we have used the new Elixir heads in slightly lighter weights to perfection. The 500 grain Vector is also magic on that rod especially for Atlantic Salmon casters not wanting to disturb water and deliver boombers like down. Skagit casters will like anything from 475 to 550 ...again I use the Vision 520 skagit or the Tonic 525 ...another nice line on that rod for dry fly work is the Snowbee 2D 8/9 ...remember he colour change on this line needs to be at your hands

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
A 510 Skagit comp with 8-12 feet of t-12 seemed to me like a fine winter line for casting Moals and Tandem-tubes. I imagine an intermediate sinker approx. 45 feet in length for 2 - 1/0s would make yet another treat to cast on this rod.

·
Registered
748 Posts
look closely and you will see the Vision ace and Beulah Tonic heads are Skagit...although a bit more heavy than your 480 -510..it will handle these very well..
My apologies...I've been a Sci Anglers guy for so long I almost never consider anything else. My loss probably. I don't think I've ever owned anything else except some Cortlands.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts