Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking between a St Croix Imperial Switch Fly Rod i1108.4 11'0" 8wt and a Beulah Classic Switch Rod - 10'6" 7/8wt. I like a deeper flexing, easier casting rods. All inputs welcome!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Haven't thrown that Beulah but I have a st Croix 1106 I'd be willing to let go if you decide that route, not because there is anything wrong with it but I have rods that fit my water better. I've only thrown Beulah plats and if the classic is even close go Beulah but they are a bit faster than the st Croix

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Beulah, hands down.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Had the pleasure to cast a Beulah 11 foot #8 rod this past season and my first cast was as if I had been using the rod for years. Also had some service done for a client and they turned the rod around from being received to being sent back out in the same day! Great rod, outstanding service behind them.

Ard

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looking between a St Croix Imperial Switch Fly Rod i1108.4 11'0" 8wt and a Beulah Classic Switch Rod - 10'6" 7/8wt. I like a deeper flexing, easier casting rods. All inputs welcome!

Thanks
I went to the Beulah site and looked up classic , but found nothing? what series are you referring to? thanks bob

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went to the Beulah site and looked up classic , but found nothing? what series are you referring to? thanks bob
Bob - I believe they have discontinued the Classic series here in the states, but after looking on their UK site it seems they still have some there.

aviomech - I have a few Beulah's, one being a Classic 6/7 which is length wise close to switch, but still feels like a spey. I also have the Beulah Plat switch #6 and this is such a fun rod to cast. Either of the series are great rods and have heard nothing but good things about the service including some spey pagers talk about same day turn around on some warranty items.

Plus Bruce Berry is on the forum and usually active and seems more than willing to give input and advice.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Classic

Bob,
Beulah no longer making the old Classic rods.
They were 10 1/2 feet. Believe the Platinums are longer.
I have a Classic 5-6-wt. Works for me.
You can find a number of them for sale nowadays.
Best,
lsteinb

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the Beulah Classic 7/8 switch and I can tell you this is one fantastic rod. It throws the airflo skagit switch 480 like magic. You won't go wrong with the Beulah. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
533 Posts
Classic/Platinum

Guys,

Original Beulah Classic Series rods were:
~10'6" 4/5
~10'6" 5/6
~10'6" 5/6
~10'6" 6/7
~10'6" 7/8
~10'6" 8/9
~10'6" 9/10
~10'6" 10/11

Later on we ditched 9/10 and 10/11 as it was before it's time for saltwater guys as a two-hand overhead rod and not many chinook chasers went for them.

Platinum Series rods are:
~10'0" 5...shorter rear and fore grips ...similar flex to classic...lighter in hand
~10'4" 6...shorter rear and fore grips...similar flex to classic...lighter in hand
~10'8" 7...longer rear/fore grips...flexes deeper to promote spey/still nymphs
~11'0" 8 ...longer rear/fore grips...flexes deeper to promote spey/stil nymphs

Some of the new platinums are shorter, some are longer...I think after six years we had a good beat on Switch rods from customers, guides and shop owers. We tightened them up to be better at what they are most likely to be doing. i.e. 10'0" 5 is better than our old rods as a single hand overhead rod and fishes really well on technical streams like the Metolius and still has spey ability. 11'0" 8 is longer with a deeper flex which will load easier and spey fish better still with the ability to nymph.

BB~

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies!

Looks like there are a few Beulah fans here. I'm more of a "spey style" caster, and it sounds like the 10'6" Classic isn't that great in an 8wt. (Plat is 11' and deeper flex). Was looking at the Beulah Classic, as they are going for a good price. But a good deal isn't my prime objective.

Anymore input on the St Croix?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My personal opinion between a st Croix and a platinum... They aren't comparable, not to mention you just had the OWNER of Beulah comment on your post, don't waste your time or money and get a plat or new onyx, if not you'll just be buying another rod within the year.... Btw I own a st Croix

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bruce, the older classic 9/10 and 10/11 sure sound interesting. How many grains for a skagit head for those puppies? I could potentially see one of them fitting a need of mine. Of course, I am assuming I could find one...

Tom

·
Registered
533 Posts
9/10...10/11?

I don't think one would be found in any shops.

Let me do a little foot work and see what I could come up with?

I think the 9/10 was right at 550 Skagit. @#%!'in powerhouse rod. I was truly pissed off when these had to go away. Better those going away than Beulah back in the early days.

I might have a blank...too late to get motivated to check tonight...but I will look and see what I can find.

BB~

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally got around to it and bought a Beulah 5/6 Classic. I happened to find a Sweetgrass Mantra 7wt switch that I couldn't live without, and that stole my funds for a couple months.

Taking out the Beulah Classic tomorrow morning, gonna cast a SGS 345gr line on it with 10ft type 8 on it. After talking to Bruce, I got a 300 Elixir and 350 Tonic on order. Can't wait to get them in and try them out.

I'm thinking this is a good summer steel rod. What y'all think, too light? Or ok?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like you made a good choice. Im a st croix fan (i own 5 different ones)but, i also have 2 beulahs. Both are the classic switch. One in 5/6 and the other in 8/9. The beulah rods are head and shoulders above st croix. You'll love the one you got.

Ben

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Ben.

I too am a St. Croix fan, and have a few Bass and Steelhead (gear rods). I love them when I gear fish. Sad they don't make a real good Switch or Spey. :(

The Beulah is like butter, smooooth. And I have not tried the Beulah lines yet! Only the SGS line, and it worked great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The St Croix 8wt switch is junk. I fished it twice. The first day the cork started to flake badly at the reel seat. The second day broke the tip landing a little pink salmon. The warranty is so much of a pain in the ass I threw the rod out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The St Croix 8wt switch is junk. I fished it twice. The first day the cork started to flake badly at the reel seat. The second day broke the tip landing a little pink salmon. The warranty is so much of a pain in the ass I threw the rod out.
I know they are not best casting rod in the world, but normally St Croix's have a solid backbone. ;)

If you broke the tip fighting a fish, that is your fault! You never fight a fish with the tip of your rod! :tsk_tsk: You would have broken any Switch or Spey rod doing that. While fighting a fish, the mid section should be arched and your tip straight as an arrow, pointing at the fish.

Too many people trying to fight fish like Bill Dance with his Bass rod tip yanked way back over his head, yanking a 2 lbs Bass in the boat. These are not Bass rods, and even so, you should always use the backbone to fight fish, not the tip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wasn't landing the fish with the tip... either way St Croix can eat a big bag of dicks for having a stupid warrenty and not even bothering to respond to emails.
If I am going to buy cheap crap again I'll stick with TFO at least they have a good warrenty and I have been way happier with their procucts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts