Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just pulled the trigger on a New Beulah Onyx 6131. Found it at a local fly shop, brand new. I couldn't really pass up the price.. My current Beulah lineup consists of the original Platinums in the 6126, 7132 and the 8138... I kicked around the idea of going with the G2 6128, but at less thrash $500 the Onyx was hard to pass up....

For those of you who have casted both, the Platinums and the Onyx, specifically in the 6131, how do these rods compare feel wise... I'm sure all my current heads will work for both... Tonic 425, Rage 420, Aerohead 450, Rio Scandi Long 400... I'm really wanting to get into longer line stuff for summer, I've been reading the Aerohead 450 tips on this rod... Hoping to see it delivered in the next day or 2.

Jer

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the rod showed up today and I'm hoping the reel gets here by the weekend.. I decided to go with a Hardy Duchess 4in... I'm convinced this will be a visually stunning marriage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a sweet stick for sure. I’ve been throwing an SA 389gr scandi and have been quite pleased. The aerohead is on my list as well. Seems like maybe I should check out a higher grain weight?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 7wt onyx and LOVE the 525 grain Bridge Tributary. I would assume the 475 grain would be great on that rod.
I bet that's a sweet pairing.... I've decided to dedicate this summer to longer lines.... I have the Same Bridge Tributary 525 on my Platinum 7wt, the Gaelforce Equalizer 54 in 585 on my Platinum 8wt and the Beulah Aerohead 450 on my Onyx 6wt. I guess I'll just have to run a boring old Scandi on my Platinum 6wt or keep it setup Skagit for the beginning of the year.....

Jer

·
Registered
698 Posts
I bet that's a sweet pairing.... I've decided to dedicate this summer to longer lines.... I have the Same Bridge Tributary 525 on my Platinum 7wt, the Gaelforce Equalizer 54 in 585 on my Platinum 8wt and the Beulah Aerohead 450 on my Onyx 6wt. I guess I'll just have to run a boring old Scandi on my Platinum 6wt or keep it setup Skagit for the beginning of the year.....

Jer
I use the FIST 510 on my 7wt Onyx

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,245 Posts
Ill look through my stash and see what I have to send for you to try out. RIO and SA are nice but Beulah has great tapers. Its almost as if somebody who may know a thing or two about rod design might also know a thing or two about line tapers. :unsure: I don't think the Beulah thing is a collision of coincidence.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Beulah Elixir Switch 350... That might be in the ballpark being a bit shorter maybe.... I'll have to try this out once mother nature cooperates a bit and the rivers are not 8ft over normal summer levels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts